Oil drain plug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brslk View Post
    I do have to go back tomorrow to get a drain pan anyway (I don't know where I thought I was gonna drain the oil into in the first place. duh)
    Bruce.

You do know that any old biscuit tin, basin, bowl, etc will do the job?
    You don't have to go out and buy a special container to empty your oil into.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
      Or a flat cardboard box and a garbage bag. Your neighbor's lawn works in a pinch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
        The wife would kill me if I used any of those. Besides, I just got back from buying one and it only cost $3.99 with a built in spout.

Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Or a flat cardboard box and a garbage bag. Your neighbor's lawn works in a pinch.
          But I actually like my neighbors though.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I have searched and had no joy - although this thread is close.

I have just got hold of a 1983 650G - shaft drive Katana. Serviced by a dealer I have seen that the oil has been overfilled - it's perfect on the side stand - too full on the centre. So......I will dump the oil and put it back in (only a little less). It was serviced 300kms ago so oil should be good. My question is this - what torque setting do I need to use on the oil drain bolt? The book just says "securely".

A second question (picked up after reading a few threads) my petrol tap seems jammed in Res - the bike runs (well for its age) so I don't see it as a priority but as I'm newly returned to GS' after 24yrs all experienced advice welcome. I'm off to re-read the GS site. Cheers Opa.

Comment

First, welcome to GSR.
              Second, there is no reason to dump all the oil. Put the bike on the centerstand, remove the plug and re-install it immediately. You should be fine, but your hand and the wrench will be soaked with oil. It may take two tries to get it down enough, then fill it to the full mark only, and only with the bike on the centerstand on a relatively flat surface.
              Third, tighten it down snug, but don't put a man-sized torque on it. It does not support anything, you just want it tight enough so that it does not fall our whilst riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Opa Neil View Post
                Hi, I'm new to this forum, I have searched and had no joy - although this thread is close.

I have just got hold of a 1983 650G - shaft drive Katana. Serviced by a dealer I have seen that the oil has been overfilled - it's perfect on the side stand - too full on the centre. So......I will dump the oil and put it back in (only a little less). It was serviced 300kms ago so oil should be good. My question is this - what torque setting do I need to use on the oil drain bolt? The book just says "securely".
                Overfill, I had success syphoning excess oil out of the filler hole with plastic tubing, just make sure your engine is cool, and oil too, as it could melt the tubing.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

As to the original posters question of plug size, from memory it is an uncommon size that seemingly only suzuki use. 14mm x 1.25 pitch is what i believe it would be. To confirm if this is the case, try screwing in a 14mm spark plug as they have a 1.25 pitch, if it fits without binding, then it is indeed the size i indicated.

As to the length, I'm unsure on the specifics, but it is about 12-14mm long, At least it was on my RF900's sump. I checked out of curiosity, an there was a further 8-9mm of clearance on top of this at the very least before you hit the oil intake filter mesh.

piclink of my bike's sump

Comment

Thanks - very useful.

I'll tighten it up as directed - I'm scarred by my shearing off the manifold studs on a friend's GS many years ago - He wasn't very happy and I went to zero on man points.

Cheers

Opa

Comment

Working...
                    X