Chain questions from a new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain questions from a new guy

Hey guys I've got a few questions, I've got an '84 gs 550l and it's time to get a new chain on it. I've looked around on here and it just gave me more questions. First is what chain do I need exactly? I think it's a 530 108 link....? And also I see people doing a 520 conversion. What's the benefit? And I've also seen the "negative" comments about people doing it. Like I said I just wanna know what to buy! Thanks for the help if you have any

Here's a good link to start with as far as what size chain you'll need (Remember there's no 84 L model, just the 83 and 85).

Remember to change out your sprockets at the same time or you'll have major issues quickly. You won't need to do any conversions - that was mostly for the older style that isn't carried anymore.

Z1 has some good prices on their chains and sprockets so start there.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, ways change the sprockets with the chain. No you don't need to go to 520.
      People do the 530 conversion because they're more availble at your local parts counter should you toss a chain on the road than a 630 chain is. I don't know that there's a bike out there that uses 630 standard any longer.
      It's also less rotating mass, but the benefit is negligible. Your bike came with a 530 so stick with that.

Comment

Call Z1 and ask them. I got my 530 chain and sprockets there. They've done hundreds, if not thousands of conversions and can answer all your questions. Basically, the 530 is lighter, more readily available in case of a breakdown than a 630.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I also say get in touch with Z1. The chain and sprokets they carry are excellent. I got my set from them a couple months ago. Z1 will get you exactly what you need.

Comment

But he should be starting with a 530 on his GS550, so he should not need to do a conversion...

Z1 will definitely carry what you need. You just need the right sprockets and chain though, which you can get a lot of places. One area where you will need to make a decision is the kind of master link you wish to have. Rivet masters are usually recommended for street riding, but you'll need to buy or have access to a chain tool to install (I borrowed one from a friend). Clip masters are used off-road, and some people use them on the street, too. No special tools necessary to install, but there's a small risk that the clip may come off (safety wire and red RTV can help mitigate this risk, as well as installing the clip in the correct direction!). The chain I removed was a clip master, clip still attached. It's something of argument fodder whenever I see it mentioned.

Some EK chains have a bolt-on rivet master option, too. It's supposed to offer the reliability of rivet with no special tools. I've seen little discussion of that, though. What little I've seen has been positive, but again, it's very little.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Call Z1 and ask them. I got my 530 chain and sprockets there. They've done hundreds, if not thousands of conversions and can answer all your questions. Basically, the 530 is lighter, more readily available in case of a breakdown than a 630.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/contactinfo.aspx

Comment

I think I'm still riding on the original chain....
              Maybe this summer I'll get around to it.

Comment

Haha thank you guys very much. And I keep hearing all these good things about z1 the only thing that made me nervous is how cheap there stuff is! But hell if everyone swears by them that's enought for me

Comment

Also I'm guessing that the "x" link is better/last longer then the "o" link?

Comment

Should be. X-rings are less prone to failure/wear than O-rings. Other than the sealing rings generally the chains themselves are exactly the same.

Originally posted by aznpride75 View Post
                    Also I'm guessing that the "x" link is better/last longer then the "o" link?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      Here's a good link to start with as far as what size chain you'll need (Remember there's no 84 L model, just the 83 and 85).

Remember to change out your sprockets at the same time or you'll have major issues quickly. You won't need to do any conversions - that was mostly for the older style that isn't carried anymore.

Z1 has some good prices on their chains and sprockets so start there.
                      Awesome chart man thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X