Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I attempt a frame-off restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoBlue View Post
    I would like to paint the frame, yes. I want to do the stripped cafe look, all motor. This is my first bike build, or even anything to do with bikes really. I do know how to ride and throw a wrench around, but Ive never done this type of thing.

I do like the other advice to not start in Feb. I think if I got it running at least, I would have a great deal of info about the overall condition while Im riding.
    Get it running at least first. Easier with the motor in the frame, and an exhaust system, etc. More than likely, the motor doesn't require rebuilding. If it does, the bike isn't worth enough to bother with (few GS are) except as a labor of love. With the time it takes to order, receive, and install parts, you will be surprised the time it takes to do it, because as you go, you always run into something else it needs that you have not already got ordered or on hand. Just spent 3 weeks doing a starter clutch. All but one day was waiting for parts.

Things like the drive chain and sprockets will probably be needed. The carbs need to be cleaned and reinstalled. Brakes are in need of rebuilding. The (likely electrical) problems that got it parked in the first place need to be discovered and fixed. You will want to clean and polish things.

You will probably find enough work and parts it needs to make it safe and usable to occupy your time and funds between now and riding season.

A clean good running survivor with battle scars is a cool bike to own and ride anyway.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hey...here is a quick video I made of my frame swap on the GS1100E...
      I did this after I got the bike running and rode it for a year or two...

This was not a restoration, just a new frame and replacement of some wear parts. But, it will give you an idea of what's involved.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

This was not a restoration, just a new frame and replacement of some wear parts. But, it will give you an idea of what's involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEsS...12AUAAAAAAAFAA
        Nice vid! Good editing and music score, too.
        '80 GS1000ST
        '92 ZX-11
        Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEsS...12AUAAAAAAAFAA

Homer simpson cracked me up!!!!!

Comment

No way, too late in the season.
            Riding season is right around the corner.

My 550 is still sitting in pieces from last year, I thought it would just be a "quick" Frame-Painting job.......

Things change, money problems come up.
            All it takes is one snapped exhaust bolt or something, and the next thing you know, you got 4 snapped bolts!
            Then the damn thing is sitting for 2 months.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

now if I get a second bike, tear one down, leave one for riding...yeah, thats the trick..
              Well done Grasshopper, you have sussed the cardinal rule of bike reno. Fix one....ride one ! You can tell the wife its an important procedure for successful project planning and undertaking as in when the project stalls or hits a snag, a bike ride will open up the brain to a solution and get the creative juices flowing.

It didn't work for me.......but it might for you

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Working...
              X