My rpm dial killed itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rpm dial killed itself

So I just bought a GS750L and everything seems really good on it He kept it in really good condition. I've been too busy to go through a full diagnostic on everything to double check for my own peace of mind. This is after all my first GS. However the oddest thing happened to me the other day on the freeway. My rpm dial started whining and eventually stopped working. I was riding at about 75mph for about an hour there and an hour back. My dial I noticed on the ride there also moved erratically. Going from 6-7 rpm at 75, more or less pretty steadily. It was similar to a metronomes speed except for the odd jump every couple seconds. I've never worked on a bike before so my first question is possible theories on what went wrong and is it possible for a newbie to fix? =]

Check the cable.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cable repairs

I am an all thumbs to bike repair, but cables- to troubleshoot and replace, are fairly simple.

To troubleshoot Speedos and RPMs, here's a couple of my things.
      1- take off both ends, squirt w/ WD40. 2. Gently turn the "protusion" end of one side. While turning, does the other side turn too? Yes? Good, it's not broken. No? Well, ya gotta find a new(er) cable.
      If they both turn, plug/screw them back to both ends. Often, you're good to go.

If you plug back and still zipp readouts on the RPM, or speedometer....
      1. Undo cable from the dials side. 2. get a drill driver tip that will approximate the cable tip. 3. stick it into dial, gently squeeze the trigger of your drill to get it spinning.
      Get a reading? No? hmmm. sucks for you. Ya gotta find a new(er) dial.
      Yes,? it turns and gives a read out?- needles move? hmmmm- sucks for you cause I'm stumped too. Prob still in the gotta get a new cable mode.
      Hope this helps. Have fun, get a bit greasy and dirty. And let's pray you're seeing your RPM needle spin soon.
      -Bookmon

Comment

Working...
      X