Lower front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower front forks

What's the method,if any, to lower the front forks on a 550 1984.

Eeesh..already got a 16" wheel on front. Lowering the forks will change the geometry and make the bike rather twitchy.

Having said that, it's your bike and likely no one will stop you from doing whatever it is you want to do with it, so the easiest way would be to loosen the triple clamps and slide the forks up through them. I'd suggest only going a 1/2 inch at a time...ride it and see what you think before going crazy. Changing the geometry can have serious effects that could wind you up balled up in a road side ditch if you're not sure of what you're doing...

Comment

Hmmm good to know. All these rides, yours included,have what,bigger front wheels? What you say makes perfect sense I'm just curious. I like the more compact look

Comment

Originally posted by cid View Post
        Hmmm good to know. All these rides, yours included,have what,bigger front wheels? What you say makes perfect sense I'm just curious. I like the more compact look
        Yeah most of the GS models had a big old 19" front hoop on em.
        But the 83 and on 550/700/750/1150 had a 16" front wheel. It was something Suzuki was trying to quicken up the steering, make the bike a little lighter etc. and it worked quite well on the 550s and 700/750s. The 1150 was touted as a bit of a beast that was chomping at the bit to get loose on you, according to some of the cycle rags. It had ridiculous power and that tiny front wheel. Drag racers loved it, but the boys who road raced though it was a lot too much and didn't handle well...

Comment

Originally posted by cid View Post
          I like the more compact look
          Get a Smart Car.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's going have a REAL compact look if you play with the geometry too
            much. Then you'll be paying someone to pull it out of a ditch, because you ran over a peanut shell or something.

Also note, your handle bars might dictate how low you go, unless you have risers.

Comment

Don't do it - first roundabout and you'll feel like you want to get off (that is, if you are still on.....).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
              X