No announcement yet.

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I "fixed" the carb. Took it back off and put those two screws in there place and reattached everything. Double and triple checked everything. vent, vacum, and fuel hoses all put in there place.
    Now all I get is a backfire and the sound of the starter. At one point it was almost there then quickly died.
    I know I need to adjust the valve clearance, Will this alone stop my bike from starting??? I've read the what to do if your bike dosen't start and I'm going to check my plugs tomarrow after I try again and go from there. I just wanted to know if valve clearance was capible of stopping the bike from starting or if I should be looking somewhere else????

Comment

So I'm following the tutorial on the bottom of Mr Cinders post about "My bike won't start". Figured out that spark is the issue. So I took off the plugs and boot thingys and clipped a bit of wire. On top of that I cleaned the hell out of the spark plugs (don't have any cash to get new ones). When I started I had a weak spark on #2 and the rest had no spark. After cleaning I have a good spark on 1-3 but #4 is being stubborn and won't give me anything. Any ideas???
      EDIT
      And by the way the plugs were wet with fuel when I pulled them out. There are new plugs but I did put about 75-100 miles on them so they were carbon fowled.

Comment

Test the #4 plug boots with different plugs. If none spark, the boot/wire is bad. If other plugs spark, the plug is bad.

If you've done this already, check the connections on that plug wire.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! @$&#*$%$$%&%$#%&*$@%&

Now that i got that out. So i changed out the spark plugs and she roared to life using the choke without issue. Cool! I let her run for a few min and she sounds great! Real smooth. So i decide to try to slowly turn the choke down and she dies. Ok thats fine let's try again. Almost, almost , nothing. Ok how bout a squrt of starter fluid. Nothing. Now all i get is the starter. And here i was thinking that i might FINALLY be able to go for a ride. All well. Take a deep breath, wait a hr or two for the battery to charge and try again. Now i think it's time for a beer.

Comment

id check to make sure your throttles adjusted open at idle . the long screw in between #2 and #3 . twist it in a little. i dont live to far from you but my license is suspended atm or i would come help. did you get new plugs? are they already flooded? may need to re check the float height again .

Comment

Running with choke but not without? Sounds lean to me. Check your float levels and the pilot settings and adjust them to richen the mix.

Comment

So she runs, but won't stay running. In order to get her to start i have to set the petcock to pri then start with the chock wide open. Then she'll start and go straight to 3000rpm or so. I try to turn down the choke slowly and the rpm goes up then dies. I've adjusted all the air screws to 2 turns out .
                I've heard a few of say check my float level. How? The only way i know how is to take the bowl off and bust out my ruler. Is this what you mean? What should i do? Starting to get really frustrated with it.

Comment

I suspect that she's too lean cause now she'll start after i set the petcock to pri for a few seconds prior to starting. then the rpms go to 3000 for a few seconds then the rpms jump around a bit before dieing. So i'm thinking of taking off the bowls measuring the float and if they are good turning my fuel screw out a quarter turn.

Comment

The float on #4 is at 33mm. It should be at 24mm right?

Edit
                    No, that measurement was taken with the carb attached to the bike. In order to get the 24mm reading the carbs have to be off the bike and upside down. Hmmmmm.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Time to get ready for work. So at the end all i did was all the air screws at 2 turns out. And she will only start if i prime her first then will only run a few min. So i'm thinking that once she uses up the gas from the prime shes done and not getting anything from the petcock. Maybe the petcock is bad? What else would cause this?

Comment

Remove the bowls and gaskets and use the end of the calipers as in the picture. Set the dial at whatever your manual says ( may have to do the metric to SAE conversion if you dont have a metric dial). Then measure from the little raised area on the body as in the picture to the edges of each float in each carb.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

As for only runs on prime...got a vacuum hose from carb 3 up to the little nipple on the petcock??? They are vacuum operated petcocks.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            As for only runs on prime...got a vacuum hose from carb 3 up to the little nipple on the petcock??? They are vacuum operated petcocks.
                            Yes the vacuum hose is hooked up properly. If i measured the float properly it's at 33mm instead of 24mm the manual states. Will re measure when i get home. I measured it with the carbs attached to the bike. Should i measure the float as i hold it so it's touching tje pin?

Comment

Yes the float needs to be resting gently on the float needle pin. Best to remove the carbs and do them on the bench. Turn them upside down and make each of the floats in each carb the same. This is the only way anyone should set float heights..by the book.
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-24-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                                Yes the float needs to be resting gently on the float needle pin. Best to remove the carbs and do them on the bench. Turn them upside down and make each of the floats in each carb the same. This is the only way anyone should set float heights..by the book.
                                I hate to be the bearer of sad news but suzuki actually has a different and preferred method of measuring the float height while installed on the bike with fuel in the bowls using their suzuki float height gauge tool. It's a crappy time consuming method but it is "by the book"

Comment

Working...
                                X