Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G Choke Knob stuck, how to remove/replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Choke Knob stuck, how to remove/replace?

When I got my 1980 GS850G from PO, he told me that the choke knob (near the ignition key) is stuck and has used the lever near the carbs. I used some PB Blaster to see if I could move that knob. But It does not seem to budge.
    How to I remove it from fork. I removed the covers and There was a thread that went into the Fork.
    The Carbs are out for cleaning so my choke cable is not tied up.

There is a nut under the knob that adjusts how tight the knob is. It might just be too tight. Under that, it's threaded into the steering stem, as you found. While it's disconnected from the carbs, unscrew it from the stem and it should pull it out. Pay attention to how it's routed among the frame tubes and whatnot so you don't have to figure it out yourself with the new one.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      There is a nut under the knob that adjusts how tight the knob is. It might just be too tight. Under that, it's threaded into the steering stem, as you found. While it's disconnected from the carbs, unscrew it from the stem and it should pull it out. Pay attention to how it's routed among the frame tubes and whatnot so you don't have to figure it out yourself with the new one.
      In my bike, I can rotate that nut and It does loosen up without issues, however nothing moves. Here is the picture.

Comment

Ram..how did you solve the problem finally?

I am facing the same problem. Stuck choke. How did you get it out finally, just being curious. Also nice to see a fellow indian (just assuming) own and enjoy a GS850g. I have the same motorcycle. I am from kerala, india, settled in the USA

Comment

Hi,

It might be easier to get the choke cable out if you remove the fuel tank. It could be binding up underneath somewhere.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I had one seize on one of my 1000G's (basically the same, but not identical on the carb end for no actual reason)

I had to replace it. I have freed up a lot of seized cables in the past, but not this particular one. My favorite way to lube a cable is to put a little funnel on one end of the sheath, I line a VW side light rubber sheath, or I make one out of masking tape. Hang the cable, put the funnel on the sheath, then put motor oil in it and let gravity run the oil through the cable. When it drips out the other end, its lubed.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Mine's stuck too! I have a full tank of gas. Can I just lift the tank up high enough to see where it's stuck?

Comment

Wow, there's nothing like resurrecting a five-year-old post with a notice that says you have a stuck "choke" cable and a full tank.

Some details, please, if you don't mind.
                What bike?
                What year?

Might seem trivial, but different years and different bikes have different types of "choke" cables, so the recommendations for fixing the problem will be different.

In general, no, you will not be able to just lift your tank enough to see where it is stuck. Removing the tank should not be much of a problem, but again, we can't suggest what to do until we know what bike you have.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X