chain gets tight and loose when it spins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
    Every thing I have ever owned with a chain has this same symptom. Bicycles, mini bikes, go cart, dirt bikes, street bikes. New chains old chains doesn't matter.
    I've replaced a few chain/sprocket sets and a new chain, with new sprockets does not do the loose/tight thing...assuming you are putting on quality parts.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I'm having the same issue myself.
      Why does it feel like your riding on a bend rim?

Comment

a quality replacement chain and sprockets, properly adjusted and aligned correctly should spin as free and smooth as you like.
        an old worn chain and sprocket set will get tight spots as it wears as during normal riding the suspension is going up and down constantly so the chain is never ending going tight/loose/tight/loose and it will eventually wear the chain links unevenly causing tight spots.
        obviously poor alignment and maintenance will rapidly accelerate these problems
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I guess that's the best explanation I can get for it. I've checked both sprockets with a depth gauge and every tooth is the same with no visible wear. They look new. So I should be in good shape with a new chain. I found what claims to be better than stock chain for about 90.00 before shipping. Not very confident on the 530 setup as nobody seems to sell a "kit" to do this and nobody lists any of it for my particular year and model. Anybody know where I might find something in the likes of a "kit" for an '83 750T?
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I guess that's the best explanation I can get for it. I've checked both sprockets with a depth gauge and every tooth is the same with no visible wear. They look new. So I should be in good shape with a new chain. I found what claims to be better than stock chain for about 90.00 before shipping. Not very confident on the 530 setup as nobody seems to sell a "kit" to do this and nobody lists any of it for my particular year and model. Anybody know where I might find something in the likes of a "kit" for an '83 750T?
            Call Z1 Enterprises...they will fix you up. And if you are changing the chain, change the sprockets no matter what they look like...
            Consider them a set...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

And, as well as the chain and sprockets, check your swing arm bearings.If they are worn, adjusting the chain won't help, and it will wear out rapidly as the swing arm flops back and forth inconsistently.

If your bike is old, and new to you, make sure you inspect the condition of the bearings. You don't want surprises, or to replace the chain when the root of the problem is a loose swing arm.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

when the chain does that tight loose stuff it means the rollers are wore and some are broke some are not,thats why its up n down feels like its bent get a good chain first, go by the tensile strength! a stock one will cost more in the long run cause there cheap, you can use stock sprockets though, the chain is what ruins the whole system
                cause it will eat up the sprockets, so replace all at the same time, im sure there are a ton on ebay, smaller rear means faster on the highway,and easier on the rpms (1or 2 teeth)

Comment

I have an '82 that I noticed is doing the tight loose tight thing today (found this thread using the search!) and this is what you are looking for.

I'm buying one for sure.
                  Anyone have any comments on the quality of this set?

Tank

Comment

Actually after reading up more on the differences between 630 and 530 chain, I'm not sure that is the right set for you, but I know that ebayer will have what you need. They have TONS.

I just read this:
                    "630 chain is 3/4" pitch (or think of it as 6/8"), 530 chain is 5/8" pitch - so the simple conversion in teeth is divide the 630 sprocket teeth count by 5 and multiply by 6.
                    630 15 tooth front becomes a 530 18 tooth sprocket.
                    630 35 tooth rear becomes a 530 42 tooth sprocket.
                    92 link rear chain becomes 110.4 links (rounded to 110)."

out 750T's are 630 15-41t, so I think we'd be looking at a 530 18-49t kit for the stock ratio

I'm not sure if they have already done the conversion or not in the ebay listing so I would email first to be sure, seems like a stupid thing to leave out of an ad though.

Tank

Comment

Have you checked your rear axle is tight and the wheel bearings ok also?

Comment

Working...
                      X