Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400E / GS450 and related model years.

Hello all,

First time poster and buyer of a GS400E series motorcycle. Been creeping the forums for the last couple of weeks and finally decided to register as I need to start slowly but surely restoring the bike to reliable if not decent looking condition.
    One of my first concerns is getting the access to right information from the point of servicing the bike. If someone amongst the knowledgeable could help, I'm trying to find. if other than a slightly larger bore and compression ratio on the 450, the 400 is exactly the same? Furthermore, if one could tell me which model years are comparable, this would help me immensely in my quest to find parts.

By the way, bought the bike for $575 CAD about two months ago and if it wasn't for the "potential" stator gremlin (I'm checking later with a new battery and multimeter as per the tests) the bike has been a solid performer. Certainly doesn't have the accelerating speed of my 2005 Zx636 but the natural riding position, low running costs, and the thoughts of restoring this classic have me riding it more than my Ninja ;-)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

To add, I left a message with Electrosport and they got back to me with the following:

Anyone able to comment on this being the right part ?

Comment

So far no responses :-( But I'll keep this thread alive in hopes for some free knowledge. In the meantime, I have deduced that the battery is certainly on the outs. Low on electrolyte and the plates probably are sulphurized so I might pick up some distilled water and use it as a back up but I'm out to buy a new battery and test to see if I have a parasitic drain. More to come and hopefully it's just a battery issue and a quick fix with some contact cleaner and electrical tape.

Comment

Hi mate, sorry no idea how I missed a 400/450 thread, I'm normally all over them quick smart...

Anyway, yep that stator's the right one, common from the 400's all the way through the later 500's to my knowledge.

The 400's onwards share the same common bottom end except I think (and this is where I get hazy) the 16 valve motors and 425's which I believe have a roller bearing bottom end as opposed to a plain bearing.

Essentially though a lot of parts will interchange but there will be some minor differences such as tank mounting etc. which may make things not quite a direct swap.

Oh, and welcome!

Post an intro thread in the GS Owners forum also so BassCliff can give you your mega welcome... it's well worth it!
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

OK here is the scoop.The Canadian/some Euro states 4V TSCC 400 shares the same plain bearing crank as the more common 450.Great bikes in both flavors,common styling between the 400 and 450.What year is yours?

Comment

Working...
          X