Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice regarding my 1100EX clutch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice regarding my 1100EX clutch...

Took the clutch apart on my ’81 1100E (Big Red) today - been meaning to do this for a while, as it slips during hard acceleration when cold. I figured some new OEM springs would cure that, and I’ve had the new springs for a couple of seasons now. Yes, I procrastinated…

It was raining hard all day today so I figured today was the perfect day to tackle that job. I might add that I’ve never met the occupants that inhabit the backside of the clutch cover before.

Got everything apart and as you can see, found two broken fibers nestled in the clutch pack.

Apparently the PO replaced the fibers before because all the fiber thicknesses measured close to new. The steels however were all below low limit., as were the springs. I already have new OEM springs and will order new steel plates too.

The question I have is:
    1) – Do I simply order two new fibers to replace the two broken ones?
    OR,
    2) Should I get a complete new set of fibers?
    Seems to me just a couple of new ones would do the trick but what do you guys think – I’m a clutch noobie.

Thanks,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

I have never seen a thickness limit on the steels, just a distortion limit (warp). What is the thickness limit on the steels?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
      I have never seen a thickness limit on the steels, just a distortion limit (warp). What is the thickness limit on the steels?

The limit from the service manual is 2.00, +/- 0.06 mm.

All mine measured close to 1.90mm
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

It must be a Haynes manual. I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness as I would the warpage. If they are not warped I would run them. If the rest of the fibers are good , then just replace the two, and put in the new springs. Your slippage was probably due to the broken fibers.

Comment

It must be a Haynes manual. I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness as I would the warpage. If they are not warped I would run them. If the rest of the fibers are good , then just replace the two, and put in the new springs. Your slippage was probably due to the broken fibers.
          The steel thickness spec comes from the Suzuki service manual.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I just checked a stack of new steels, part# 21451-49200 and they measure 1.93mm-1.95mm. Your plates are .05mm-.03mm less. That is about .001"-.002" less. That is 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch less. They are fine.

Comment

I just checked a stack of new steels, part# 21451-49200 and they measure 1.93mm-1.95mm. Your plates are .05mm-.03mm less. That is about .001"-.002" less. That is 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch less. They are fine.
              Yeah, I tend to agree, thanks for checking yours. I'll verify the distortion. Is there a prefered way to clean them? Lightly sand them to clen 'em up? They look good, but a couple have some local heat discoloration areas.

The steel thickness spec was not in the manual section where the clutch was described, but was found in an "add on" section that was specific to the 1100EX model. I thought it was a bit odd,

Perhaps I'll just buy a new set of aftermarket fibers... any recomendations on brands ?

mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I recommend just finding two used o.e.m. fibers that are in spec. If you insist on new, then Fast by Gast plates are around $9 each from Gast or Schnitz racing.

Comment

I recommend just finding two used o.e.m. fibers that are in spec. If you insist on new, then Fast by Gast plates are around $9 each from Gast or Schnitz racing.
                  Been looking on Flea-Bay, seems '81 1100E clutch parts are a tough get...

Found this, but the OEM part number for the 750 fibers is not the same as the 1100 ones.

'85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Hi Mike,

A good rough up of those steel plates is recommended. Sanding with coarse sandpaper or media blasting is recommended. Also, use a surface plate and check for warpage. If the plates are not flat they will cause some drag which makes finding neutral difficult (at least that was the case on my bike).

Good luck

Ed
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Best way I've found to check them is place them on a piece of window glass and then check both the inside and outside with a feeler gauge. Kind of a go/no-go system works for me

Comment

Working...
                      X