Chain guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain guard

Is it safe to ride without the chain guard? I just lubed up the chain and decided to leave it off because it's such a pain for me to get my fingers in there to tighten up the one screw.

So.....is there any real concern?

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
    Is it safe to ride without the chain guard? I just lubed up the chain and decided to leave it off because it's such a pain for me to get my fingers in there to tighten up the one screw.

So.....is there any real concern?
    not for you so much as your passenger. that and a little lube fling.

Comment

Just admit it, you're trying to be cool right?

Comment

What kind of a bike do you have (might want to put that in your signature)? On my 550, it's really not that hard to get the bolt started with my fingers and then use the ratchet to finish tightening them.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
          Just admit it, you're trying to be cool right?
          I'm far from cool. More lazy than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            What kind of a bike do you have (might want to put that in your signature)? On my 550, it's really not that hard to get the bolt started with my fingers and then use the ratchet to finish tightening them.

It's an '80 750. It's got two bolts that hold it on, and the rear one is a tight fit for my fingers to hold the nut on while trying to tighten up the bolt, which has the exhaust in the way on that side.

It seems to rattle when it's on. I was going to ride without it and see if I hear the same noises to figure out if that's actually what I'm hearing.

Then end up finding new hardware for it to put it back on.

Comment

Why are you fooling with a nut there? I'm thinking someone did something to your frame or the chain guard as there's not supposed to be on there beyond what's permanently mounted. Look at the parts fiche here (I assumed E model as you didn't say which). Numbers 4 and 6 are only washers.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yea 7 and 3 is what I put on. 7 threads in then 3 has a nut. Maybe it stripped out so the nut is there now?

I don't have 5. My chain guard doesn't have a leg like that sticking down. Doesn't look like anythings cut or broke. Maybe it's a guard from a different bike.

Comment

Working...
                X