Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

retap thread to different pitch question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retap thread to different pitch question!!

my bike is a 83 gs550e. The center bolt for the signal generator is a m8x1.00. Well that bolt seems to have walked off the job during rebuild. To get this bolt seems to be a week out from everywhere, not so common I guess. I have several m8x1.25. can this be retapped to more common size? If so, what drill bit size should I use or is there a different method? Was wondering because it is same size just different pitch.
    Thanks
    Gerb

Don't tap it. That's not a DIY job on that metal for starters and there's a reason it's a finer thread - it's stronger and holds better.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Agree....

get the correct one

Comment

When in doubt, use the right parts and the right tools. It saves a lot of regret later on.

Comment

So, I guess its unanimous. I'll start retapping tonight! just kidding!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Comment

Google nut and bolt houses in your area. Also try Ace Hardware, you won't find a great selection of metric fasteners at the large hardware stores ie. Lowes, Home Depot, etc...See if you can find a "Mom and Pop" hardware store near you.
            If not, you can always find them here. They have really fast shipping, although you may have to buy in bulk.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

See the Buyers reviews section. Rustybronco posted a link and the guy will have a single he can send you im sure. Just give him the length and you should be all set. Shoot an email and tell him the situation. Cant hurt!! And length is measured from the bottom of the head shoulder to the end..FYI.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Get a hold of Good Times, he might be able to get what you need, he got some for me in that fine thread mine were allen head and M10

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

go here

click on contact info and send him a PM

or he can tell you where to get them and see if they will ship to you directly...

Comment

Larry, thanks for the link. They have what i am looking for but in bulk. I am gonna hunt down some more mom and pop stores.

Chuck, thanks for your info on length. I was wondering about that.

Gatekeeper and Chuck, I will get a hold of those guys if the locals dont pan out.

Thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                  X