Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread sealer or anti-seize. A short story. Near disaster missed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread sealer or anti-seize. A short story. Near disaster missed.

It's funny what you find when you're not looking. I was re-doing the battery wire's that the PO had all rigged up. I noticed a crankcase bolt was just spinning freely. I could have pulled it right out. It's the bolt on the right, next to the rubber boot. It now has a nut on it. So I pulled the side cover off to have a look. The nut was missing.

So. What I was really doing was removing the huge automotive ground wire that the PO had installed on the bolt that is sticking up in the pic. Then it happened. I felt the bolt twist,,as in getting ready to snap. I stopped right there and started soaking it with P.B. Blaster. I let it sit overnight. Thank God I was able to get it out. It went right in the trash.

Now to the point. I removed the proper bolt from a part's motor. It looked like it had white caulk on it. Should I use thread sealer, or maybe some anti-seize. Thanks.

The white stuff is corrosion. Use anti-seize, but remember that if you are using a torque wrench that you must derate the torque settings due to the lube. I never use a torque wrench as I found they are mostly useful for telling you how much torque it took to snap off the bolt. I don't know why Japanese bike have such cheesy fasteners.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The white stuff was not corrosion. It was white rubbery stuff I pulled off the thread's.

I'm probably gonna do like you and just tighten it up. Thanks again.

Comment

The white stuff, and the reason why you came close to snapping the bolt, was thread-lock. Use whatever you deem appropriate, factory spec is suzuki thread lock of some specific name for all the bolts that join the two halves of the split case.

Comment

I've yet to see anyone accurately torque a bolt by hand and yet to see a bolt snap off with the correct amount of torque applied with a T-W. But as usual do what you want with your own bike.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X