Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need proper ground wire routing info please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need proper ground wire routing info please.

I hope this all makes sense.

My battery wiring is a nightmare. I'm re-doing it all. I think The PO had too many wire's. What I'm needing to figure out is the proper routing for the small secondary ground wire. This pic is of my battery box. The circle on the left is where the secondary wire is attached. I think the PO added the wire going from the left circle to the right circle. But I could be wrong. He then also had a small wire going from the top of the battery to the right circle. Lot's of small ground's.

Here's the way I want to do it. If you look at the left circle, you can see an extra ring terminal hanging there. That is part of the new main ground wire that I am putting on. Can I just have that one small secondary ground there, and then the bigger main ground to the motor,,and that's all I need. Or do I need to add another small ground in there like the PO did. A pic would be great. Thanks.

What pic???
    You need that big ground wire going down to engine bolt. Then you need a 14 gauge wire from battery negative to some nice ground point ( I use the bolt on side of air filter box (behind battery) that holds the plate that has the ignitor and R/R bolted to it. This grounding point should also have the R/R ground wire attached to it. I'd suggest another ground wire from here up to bolt that holds fusebox on. There are plenty of other ways to do it.

Edit; OK, now pic. Use that bolt on left as a "grounding point" (that's what I use)- run a 14 g wire (no connectors, please) right to battery negative; add the other ground wires that I mentioned .
    Last edited by tom203; 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM. Reason: more info
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have 3 wire grounds using 14 gauge wire. One ground from the battery to the engine case, one ground from the R/R directly to the battery and one ground from the R/R to the engine case as well. The R/R is grounded to the frame by its mounting bolts as well.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks Guy's.

I all ready did it like Tom suggested. That damn cage nut came off off coarse. Let's just say it was a little tough getting it back on.

Comment

Working...
        X