Engine Parts Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Parts Cleaning

I'm planning to pretty much entirely disassemble the engine for my recently-acquired GS 450. Going to be checking out the overall condition, doing the rings probably, replacing a bunch of gaskets (multiple oil leaks currently, though it runs alright).

I did a simulated overhaul of a 6-cylinder air-cooled engine as part of my training as an aircraft mechanic (just finished school), so I'm comfortable with the whole disassembly, reassembly, etc. However, I don't have access to a shop or other locale that would have any manner of parts cleaner, and I'm wondering what recommended methods people have for cleaning everything up as I take it all apart.

I searched all the forum threads with "clean" and "cleaning" in the title, and found very little enlightenment (plenty on carbs, but little about the bigger stuff), so maybe this is just so obvious that everyone else knows it. All the same, personally, I'm feeling a bit in the dark. Any advice, tips, tricks, or even just pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi babes.

Im doing a Soda crystals and Battery charger electrolysis thing on my fuel tank at the mo...
    Seems to be working superbly...

Either that or Gunk and a toothbrush always worked ok in the past.....

Theres Ultrasonic cleaning....

And theres always a bowl ov hot soapy water... Old skool!!

good luck.
    Xxx

Comment

Before disassembly, I have been known to spray the entire engine with a degreaser and let it soak in overnight. Load the bike on a trailer, take it to the car wash. Being careful where you spray the high pressure stuff, just hose everything you can with it. Repeat if necessary, but you can also use carb cleaner to reach into the deep recesses and also use a small brush to get between the fins. Some have suggested an assortment of gun cleaning brushes, I have not invested in any yet.

If you have access to such equipment, media blasting is said to clean well, but really gets into places that you would rather not have it, so be VERY careful with that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use Diesel, ATF or fry grease.

Comment

Steve's suggestion to degrease the engine before dissembly is a good one. Gunk engine degreaser (or similar) works well.

For cleaning internal engine parts I use mineral spirits (paint thinner, the odorless variety stinks less).

For carbon removal on the piston crowns or on the head, physical abrasion works well (wire brush), particularly if you soak the parts in something like carb dip first.

Good luck
          Last edited by Nessism; 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Harbor Freight - parts washer many to chose from

use mineral spirits, or fill it up with Simple Green

Keep parts in clean box's marked and labelled, or take lots of pictures

get yourself an assortment of brush's, rags, etc

have fun

and all of what Nessism wrote is good to follow as well...

Comment

i washed my old honda cases in the dishwasher once and only once they came out pretty clean, but my ex yelled at me for a week , she still brings it up and its been 20years

Comment

If you're planning on refinishing the engine as well as rebuilding, you could use Marine Clean from POR-15 (POR15.com or something close). Good-bye grease, clear coat, and anything else on there.....I use it on the car engines I tear down. It does mean things to aluminum (chalky white stuff after cleaning) but it's easy to polish out or prep for paint.

Comment

It's surprising how well WD-40 & small stiff brushes work. Then hot soapy water using distilled water leaves only a few water spots. I do this all the time.
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    For carbon removal on the piston crowns or on the head, physical abrasion works well (wire brush), particularly if you soak the parts in something like carb dip first.
                    Been there, done that!

And spray the rings before removing the rags, to minimize the crud that might be caught behind them.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve didn't polish those piston tops! How do you sleep at night?

Comment

We were in a hurry, and it's really HARD to hold the bike up to the buffing wheel.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Before disassembly, I have been known to spray the entire engine with a degreaser and let it soak in overnight. Load the bike on a trailer, take it to the car wash.
                          No access to a trailer. I'm guessing it wouldn't be good to run the bike after coating the engine with degreaser? Probably wouldn't get along with the heat...

Comment

Originally posted by caltrop View Post
                            No access to a trailer. I'm guessing it wouldn't be good to run the bike after coating the engine with degreaser? Probably wouldn't get along with the heat...
                            If you or a buddy/neighbor has a small power washer you could do that. I have one of the cheap electric ones. It's not super high pressure about the same as at a car wash. Something similar to this:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              We were in a hurry, and it's really HARD to hold the bike up to the buffing wheel.

You're a big guy with sons built like power lifters. Couldn't you shine them a little better?
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X