Caswell tank liner...HOLY CRAP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caswell tank liner...HOLY CRAP!!

Had my first run in with the Caswell 2 part epoxy tank sealer kit today with Frank Z. He came over this morning and we got busy reading and understanding the directions very well and then set off to prep the tanks. This stuff is so hard that i broke the tip off my filleting knife trying tom open up the oval holes the petcock tube goes thru. I used 1 inch set screws with some grease on them to put in the bolt holes and keep sealer out of the threads... Heres my TX tank all wrapped in food plastic wrap like the directions said, and Frank doing up his Cooley tank ( the one i welded up a few weeks back ).

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Evening Chuck

Based on the previous discussion where it was described as being very thick, how did you find the kit to use? My kit arrived this afternoon so I am keen to hear your experience.

Thanks
    Tom

Comment

Its about as thick as honey..the directions say you can cut it with up to an ounce of thinner . We did put some laquer thinner in but i think we could have gotten it just a bit thinner so it would flow from one end of the tank or from side to side a bit faster and therefore you could get it ran around the tank several times just to be sure you got all the areas. Also, when it says to trim the stuff that drips out the petcock holes in an hour..well you better get to it within that hour, or like me, you play hell getting it trimmed out. Be sure to roll the rear of the tank around A LOT and get as much as you can out the petcock hole or youll have a thick layer around the hole. I got off track and fotgot to pull the tape off both petcock holes ( TX750 has 2 petcocks ) and now the one side is really thick. I doubt it will matter but theres no need for it to be so thick really. The grease on the bolts someone mentioned in another thread is a must or else i think the bolts would have been stuck in there rather hard. With the grease they just unscrewed as easily as you would normallt expect. There werent any fumes, so if you do it inside like we did theres no worries there.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why not POR-15?

Comment

Why?????? This works too. Looks and act the same as POR 15s that ive seen.

EDIT...By the way ive got Kreem in some tanks and its been in there for years and its just fine to this day...so i say use what ya like.

Comment

thanks Chuck

Hopefully I will get to mine this weekend.

Tom

Comment

I've pretty much used them all and in my experience the Caswell kit is the hands down best. Prep time for it is cut way down as you don't need to totally de-rust as it likes to grab on to some rust and encapsulate it. The only drawback I can see is that being epoxy it will kick in and harden at different times dependent on temperature and that is difficult to control.

Also, there is enough product in the kit to do 2 tanks or two coats so its best to only mix half at a time. My first go with it and I missed reading this part, mixed up the whole batch and at sometime while turning the tank to coat, it hardened and I ended up with a big lump at one side.

Apart from that its good stuff and the easiest of them all to get a decent finish.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

Working...
              X