New Rider, New Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rider, New Owner

Proud to say my future wife bought me an 82 Suzuki GS650E. New to forums as well, any tips or suggestions would help.

Also, any idea where to find the owners manual, I printed out the service manual, but would like the basic bike information as well.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to the experience.

Welcome to the GSR and welcome to the obsession that is motorcycling.

First, as you've now got a bike, is this your first bike and have taken the MSF class yet?

And the next topic has to be gear. Do your future wife a huge favor and get some decent gear. Including: Full face helmet, gloves, armored riding jacket, boots, ideally armored riding pants too.

Gear prices range all over from the cheap stuff up to ridiculously expensive. Take helmets, under $100 up to $400+. Opinions will range just a wide.

For what it is worth, in April I got wrecked by a herd of deer on my way to work. Gear from head to toe. Helmet took the most damage (cracked in back, scraped to hell all over. 3 broken ribs. NO road rash. No permanent injuries. Need to replace my gear now but glad to be here to do it.

Haven't seen an owners manual yet. Basscliff might have one on his website. Probably have to do some wrenching now and then on your 40+ yr old bike.

Oh yeah, check out your tires to see if they need replacing....

got to get to work...

Comment

Thanks for the response. It is my first bike, and I took a weekend long motorcycle safety course, class and practicals.

Ill be sure to check out Basscliff.

This is going to be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris P View Post
        Proud to say my future wife bought me an 82 Suzuki GS650E. New to forums as well, any tips or suggestions would help.

Also, any idea where to find the owners manual, I printed out the service manual, but would like the basic bike information as well.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to the experience.
        Good girl!
        She is trying to increase the odds that you will say "yes" when the day comes.
        And a 650E model is a great bike from what I hear and looking at the specs.

She just might be a "keeper." (Both of them. )

Eric

Comment

The 650E is a fun bike. It's a good starter bike. Powerful enough to get you into trouble but not so much that you'll be prone to do stupid stuff accidently.

As for gear, I agree with what has been said. There is a recent thread worth checking out. Some of us even linked to where we bought (or could buy) gear. I'd watch out for the site leatherup.com I've not been impressed with anything from them so far. Sure they are cheap, but that's about all they got going for them, in my opinion.

And where are the pictures!? We like pics. Don't be embarrassed if it's a bit rough, many bikes here started rough.

Comment

Working...
          X