Engine overhauling/rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine overhauling/rebuild

Hey everyone! Im in kind of a conumdrum!! I have a 78 GS750 and in the middle of tearing my engine apart. Im unsure on how to refinish the casing components once all apart.

I was thinking of having all the casings glass bead blasted and then high temp clear coated. Is this the proper way to bring the factory finish back? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Opinions on paint vary here but, after you blast the parts and get them nice and clean,
    try the VHT Cast Aluminum Hi-heat (900 degree) paint.
    It is so close to the factory color that it was difficult to tell where I had painted and had not.

Eric

Comment

WOW!! Nice Fn job man. That is exactly what Im looking to do. Did you clear overtop of that?

Comment

Just the paint.
        And as I said, it really was difficult to tell where I had applied the new paint.

Eric

Comment

Looks fantastic man, Im still a bit aways. Im down to the bottom end, I have to bring it to someone to crack the case. Then get it out for blasting.

Comment

Just my experience- I used VHT aluminum paint on a Honda engine about a dozen years ago - I baked the block and head according to directions, but since I wasn't splitting the cases I just painted them and let the heat cycles of the engine cure those. None of it held up too great. I think I may have put a little too much paint on the the head since it never seemed like it cured as hard as I was expecting even after some extra baking. It's ok, but an area where the valve cover was leaking has turned golden from the oil exposure.
            It could have been my prep work; and I don't remember the details of how I did it - but I'm usually very thorough with prep work.
            -1980 GS1100 LT
            -1975 Honda cb750K
            -1972 Honda cl175
            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

and if you go black it looks like this

Comment

The black looks sweet! I have a few options it seems but all in all it can be done. Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X