No announcement yet.

Slight oil leaks due to synthetic oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the cam chain tensioner? Thanks for the replies. I'll post some pics in a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Amsoil is good oil. Hope you used the motorcycle or diesel engine variety.

Synthetic oil does not cause leaks, however they may exploit weak gaskets.
      How gasket materials reacts to different liquids determines how effective the gasket is.

A couple of years ago I did a massive amount of research on gasket materials as we were having gaskets made for us. What I found out is each gasket compound expands different amounts based on the liquid it is exposed to. After doing all the research I had a mix of gasket materials and exposed them to different oils and also gasoline. Some of the gasket material expanded 60% or more (and that is good - you want a gasket to fill the imperfections between surfaces). A couple of the materials didn't seem to like synthetic oil - the amount of expansion was way less that with mineral oil.

So... I think some of the gasket material in older bikes has very limited sealing properties when exposed to synthetic oil.

Comment

cam chain tensioner is on the back of the cylinders under the carbs

Comment

Possibly a leak where the tach cable goes in?
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
          X