Best engine additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best engine additive

Hello, I've got a 1983 GS1100E. I'm just getting her on the road now after she's been hibernating over the winter. I put Stabil in the tank prior to storage and she fires up and runs okay. Can anyone advise if it's wise to add an additive to the gas to clean out any jets, deposits etc? I've heard some comments about Seafoam and a friend of mine swears by Redline Si-1 fuel injector cleaner-even for his carbureted bikes.Any advice on product, amounts to use and frequency?
    Thankyou in advance.

Good oil such as Rotella T and regular maintenance per the factory service manual....I use seafoam after setting winter and it freshens up the carbs ine..I do about 1/3 of a can and run 3 tanks to just be sure its done as good as its gonna do.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Seafoam is the liquid version of Chuck Norris! I swear by it!!!!
      Will stabilize fuel for 2 years!

Comment

If you can't find it, look next to the Oil Purifying machine section of the store. You might as well grab one of those too.

Comment

If you stored it with Sta-Bil and it fired up and runs, let's just say the Sta-Bil did its job.

The best thing to add to the tank now is a fresh load of 87 octane at least once a day for at least a week.

Nothing else is necessary, but Seafoam won't hurt anything except your wallet.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just throw an entire 15 ounce can of Berryman's B-12 fuel cleaner into a tank every once in a while or half a can every other full tank.
            ($3.30 at Mao-Mart)
            It keeps the carbs nice and happy.

Eric

Comment

Working...
            X