Just turned 20K 1979 GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just turned 20K 1979 GS1000L

I bought this bike in 2010 and spent that season learing to ride it and last season enjoying it, even more so this season. I have racke up ~ 8k miles so far. I know valve adjustment is due and probably carb rebuild. I have upgraded to Dyna ignition and new stator and r/r. It runs good but the carbs are starting to show their age. When the season winds down I'll do them and the valve adjust in the next week or so. I'm wondering though, how long does the chain last and the clutch too? What kind of mileage should I be getting, averag now is ~ 40MPG. Any feedback is welcome.

P.S. I have the Morgan carb tune plug and vacuum sync as well as all parts for the carb rebuild as well as valve adjustment minus the shims.

The clutch in my '78 GS1000C is going on 45,000 miles and it still works great. The chain and sprockets I changed out at 38,000 because the teeth were starting to hook. That was at least the second set of sprockets on the bike because the rear that I took off wasn't the stock count. My current chain and sprocket set has been going strong for around 7,000 miles now.

Comment

Working...
    X