No announcement yet.

Never done this before 79 GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see an answer to the points/condensers suggestion. Do you still have them? I wouldn't expect intermittent fuel issues to recover with the surges you described.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hello all,

I have very done little to resolve my problem but haven't been riding either. I did ride to work today and the same thing happened but this time worse the engine completely died. I quickly got off and could see the fuel filter was empty, took off the gas cap and started cranking. I could see gas coming back in and after a little more cranking the filter was full and all was well, put the cap back on and made it home. Not sure how the petcock works but it apparently is not working as far as letting air back in to displace the fuel. Any recommendations as to the best way to address making my petcock as new, money is not really an issue but needs to be well spent.

I do want to add that I don't know if this is the problem for sure, just my observation and result.

Thanks
      Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

It is not your petcock that lets air back into your gas tank. The air is let back into the tank by vent holes in your fuel tank cap. Check under the cap around the gasket and you will find the air return holes.
        1981 GS 1000GLX.
        1981 GS 1000G.
        1981 GS 650GLX.
        1975 TS 185.
        1972 100. Kawasaki.
        1968 100. Suzuki.
        1970 Z 50. Honda.
        1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
        1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
        X