how do you tension your chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you tension your chain

I a tried and retried and retried I am not able to tension my chain properly always a tight spot or a loose one nothing in the middle if I think I manged to do something good, I turn the wheel and to my surprise no, there a slack somewhere

Is there a trick that can facilitate this process?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2012, 04:24 PM.

Isn't that an indicator your chain / sprockets are wearing out?

Generally, I just adjust it so it's correct, and then just double-check that there's no REALLY tight spot. That is, no spots where you could, like, play middle C on it.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
      Isn't that an indicator your chain / sprockets are wearing out?

Generally, I just adjust it so it's correct, and then just double-check that there's no REALLY tight spot. That is, no spots where you could, like, play middle C on it.
      Exactly, sounds like you're ready for a new chain

I install the new chain and carefully make sure it's correct on alignment and tension

From there, I do an equal amount of turns on each adjusting screw to tighten it up
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you don't already have an owner's manual, get it here: 78 750 Owner's Manual
        Page 36 discusses how to adjust it.
        Then go find a web page that discusses using the string method of adjusting the chain to correctly align the rear wheel. There are many.

Comment

Isn't it wonderful, just feeling like a broken record on here...

Comment

Maybe so, but it's nice to help another member out....

Comment

I have read the manual, that I already had for my 750 8valve gs 1977, before completing the task the problem is the uneven chain tension that I obtained when I tried to tension the chain

Comment

Chain is shot. That means time for a new chain and that means new sprockets as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gs77 View Post
                  I have read the manual, that I already had for my 750 8valve gs 1977, before completing the task the problem is the uneven chain tension that I obtained when I tried to tension the chain
                  What usually happens is when the sprockets get worn pretty bad, the chain will ride up on the teeth tightening the chain tension, and as the wheel rotates it will ride down on the sprocket where it should be before it starts to tighten up again.
                  Your bet best is to remove the shifter cover and see as you rotate the wheel (bike on centerstand) how the chain is fitting on the sprockets. Unless you have some frozen or stiff links, it does sound like it's a classic case of worn out sprockets and chain. A quick look at your rear and counter sprocket you should be able to see the wear.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I am on the point of oredering 630 to 530 chain kit conversion split ink is necessary or not?

Comment

Originally posted by gs77 View Post
                      I am on the point of ordering 630 to 530 chain kit conversion split ink is necessary or not?
                      Umm, what does that mean? If you are asking about the master link, opinions vary. I much prefer the "old style" master link, while many prefer to go to the endless chain style, which requires yet another tool to install the new master link. Either way, be sure and purchase an extra master link, as they are chain brand and style specific.
                      BTW, if you have to change out the chain and sprockets, it is a worthwhile conversion merely due to the vast amount of choices in the 530 world. I would do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

well their are the rivet style and this thing here http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...=LA530XSOZ1-CL

And yes I am changing the sprockets and chain for the 530 standard due to this exact reason, availability
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I have that masterlink on my 450. It was recommended elsewhere to put some silicon sealant over the clip once its all attached. Dunno if it does anything but nothing has popped off yet!

Comment

last question guys Do I need a riveting tool and a chain breaker or I can use one to brake my old 630 chain and install the new one

Comment

I use an angle grinder myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X