How do I aim a headlight in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I aim a headlight in the garage?

While on my way back from the BRC-2 course tonight, I realized my high beam was pointed too far up into the sky to do me any good. Also, my low beam is too far left. I know how to adjust the headlight bucket left to right, up and down but what I don't know is how do I know if it's right? Is there a method to use a spot on the garage wall to set it correctly or am I better off testing it on a drive down the road?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    While on my way back from the BRC-2 course tonight, I realized my high beam was pointed too far up into the sky to do me any good. Also, my low beam is too far left. I know how to adjust the headlight bucket left to right, up and down but what I don't know is how do I know if it's right? Is there a method to use a spot on the garage wall to set it correctly or am I better off testing it on a drive down the road?
    It's tough to be sure you've got the handlebars exactly straight for making the left/right adjustment in the garage. Just take it for a spin to see where you're at. Bring a screwdriver along. Which reminds me. Mine's still a bit to the right. I need to remember not to forget to stop and fix it someday in the middle of the night.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Is there a method to use a spot on the garage wall to set it correctly or am I better off testing it on a drive down the road?
      After night fall, use the headlight beam aimed at a garage door, while sighting down the bikes center line as your guide. Or, take the bike for a ride and bring tools along with you.

As I recall, one to two degrees down while on low beam has been the recommended setting for headlight aiming.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I usually take it into an alley or other darker place at night and adjust it accordingly while sitting on it in a upright position.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I use this method. http://webmaster10.com/ldr/headlight_aiming.html

Seems to work pretty well.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Working...
          X