Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking Valve Clearances: Near Disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_skool
    Since we're having fun on the subject

1) Clymer is no authority on Suzuki or any other bike

2) Never heard of anyone in my lifetime ruining their engine or causing
    premature wear because they used a magnet

3) here is an excerpt from a Yamaha manual, they weren't afraid of the Boogeyman

4) Suzuki doesn't say not to use a magnet, just their aerospace engineered
    tool....tweezers

Remember, I'm posting this in the spirit of the topic, not trying to stir the pot....jeez, hate having to add a disclaimer as of late.
    Sorry you feel the need for a disclaimer, but you still seem to not understand what I'm saying.

1) Actually Clymer is an authority on Suzuki bikes, and many many other machines. By their generalized domain they are necessarily less expert than Suzuki, who is a 'higher' authority in my opinion. In either case if it is in 'the manual' there is a reasonable expectation of accuracy, more so in the factory manual. Nonetheless even Suzuki is not immune to error in their manuals. Just because it's in print doesn't mean it's true.

2) Neither have I. I'm not arguing that the warning against magnetism has any basis in fact. My only point is that I didn't bring it up because 'someone told me so'. I really don't know how to say it any more clearly than that.

3) I believed you the first time, but thanks for the reference anyway.

4) I didn't think the factory manual mentioned magnetism, but again... thanks for the reference...
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Well i doubt the telescopic pen magnets I have would be powerful enough to magnetize the cam enough to pick up a shim, if you are using a strong electromagnet for some reason it might. but by the time you got up to those high rpms the cam would be demagnetized. Think about it: when something is magnetized all it's electrons are oriented in one direction. Because a cam is constantly rotating, and is surrounded by metal, those electrons are going to be pulled in every direction and scrambled.

Or if you want to certain:
      You can rub a magnet along the metal in one direction for a bunch of times (the more the better), and that will magnetize it to some degree, but its not permanent and will demagnetize if it is hit hard with something.
      From google

You just beat it with a hammer or forehead and knock that magnetism loose

Comment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
        Well i doubt the telescopic pen magnets I have would be powerful enough to magnetize the cam enough to pick up a shim, if you are using a strong electromagnet for some reason it might. but by the time you got up to those high rpms the cam would be demagnetized. Think about it: when something is magnetized all it's electrons are oriented in one direction. Because a cam is constantly rotating, and is surrounded by metal, those electrons are going to be pulled in every direction and scrambled.

Or if you want to certain:

From google

You just beat it with a hammer or forehead and knock that magnetism loose
        THAT I never realized! I'm going to have some fun with magnets I think . Hey that means in my ancient four track recorder I can just just beat on the heads with a ball peen hammer and demagnetize them - yessss!

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point, Clymer is not a manufacturer of any cycle, therefore, is far from being an expert on anything...they used various technicians to dis-assemble and re-assemble the machines in their publications to create a guide for repairs for the general diy mechanic, they were merely a entity who found a need in the market and started a very profitable book business.
        Well we can agree to say basically the same thing but still think we're disagreeing... as usual language is the issue. 'an' authority is not necessarily an 'expert' authority, at least in my view. Clymer is not an expert authority. Nor is Haynes, nor Chilton Neither.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

"we're disagreeing".....not anymore, I think we are in complete agreement.
          No we're not....

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

This thread needs a giant magnet to get it back on track.

Comment

Or a big hammer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just like a woman....when you think you're in agreement, change gears and go a different direction

my wife's the same way, I say she's wrong, she says she's right, this repeats several times, I then say she's right...and then she says I'm still wrong
                Well, aren't you?? Just kidding, no we're both 'right'... this time.

We did not derail this thread, we just took the scenic route.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Please, enjoy the view. Senior Isaac is ****ing all over my city and for the time being there is no work being done

Edit: urination as precipitation is what the **** was. The filter actually made it look worse than it was

Comment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
                    Please, enjoy the view. Senior Isaac is ****ing all over my city and for the time being there is no work being done

Edit: urination as precipitation is what the **** was. The filter actually made it look worse than it was
                    Have you been taking lessons from Jeeprusty?
                    This sounds like something that he would post.

Eric

Comment

Meanwhile, back in the Charleston SC vicinity, ekabil has assumed the fetal position, contemplating his role in the universe and wondering what he did in his past life to deserve this situation.......

Comment

What a tired joke

Comment

this is wore out,wth?the guy made a mistake let it be,if one is that unfamiliar an does not use the search function on valves for an 8 valve zuki,Um how many times has someone done this since i have been here?3 atleast,as far as i am concerned,not to down the OP.but DO YOUR RESEARCH.it has been posted the newb mistakes,
                          I know for me i was learching this site for 3-4 months learning my bike before i even attempted the major maintenance and repairs,and that is with 20 years automotive experience and 3-4k in tools and growing still.
                          It is repairable ,he will just learn more now,so help him and let it go,
                          If he doesnt want to accept the help than just,well as lennon put it,LET IT BE.
                          Nuff said.the onfo is here and everywhere,read learn ind do you research,some do some don't.

Comment

hey I don't think that is an issue anymore, everyone knows (including me) I made a mistake. But like you said its fixable.

For the time being there is rain everyday in the near future except this weekend, but I have to go out of town, so Ill post back once I get a chance to work on my bike

Comment

Good god what a thread, I'm so thankful for 16 valves now lol...
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

as i periodically reminded myself when doing the first big piece of work on my bike, there's nothing that you can't fix with enough time and/or money. it's just a bike.

sounds like you're back on track. good luck with the work and hope we'll get more updates soon

Comment

Working...
                                X