Barn find maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn find maintenance?

SO I am a serious newbi here so please be gentle. Well my old man bought a 1980 gs850g which I rode home for him and have decided to buy myself a 1982 gs850g that was listed on craigslist for 750 that seems solid. Wont be picking up till mon night. I heard it fire by jumping it since battery is dead, didnt get a test ride as it ran out of gas and the owner didnt approve wo inspection. Took his word that every thing works, I did chech over lights switches and most every visial things and at the price I got him to went for it. Yea I know what your all thinking but If money needs to go into it I will not cry, I have a honda xr400 thats ttitled to ride. Owner says that I should replace fluids and just wanted to know what exactly you guys would look over on a bike thats been stored awhile? Mind you I,m a street bike newbie since I've only ever had titled enduro bikes before.

We would look over everything, Brakes , brake fluid , tires ,Clean carbs ,charging system upgrades, cables, check clutch, lights,fuel petcock. You need to go introduce yourself in the general forum area and recieve you mega welcome, ad your bike to your advitar so everyone is not asking what bike and do some reading . Congrats on your purchase
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Valve adjustment and initial readings will be of great help too.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Comment

I will post in the general forum soon. Thanks for that link too, that's awesome!

Comment

Checking valve clearance now will save top end rebuild latter.. learned from experience

Comment

30 year old bike,30 years of maintenacne required,no shortcuts,go thru everythinge!!!you will have a reliable bike for many many miles that way.

Comment

Working...
              X