Main Bearing Wear Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Bearing Wear Pattern

Overhauling a 1980 GS450L engine with 25k on it. I put in a post about finding flaking bearings, but now I realized I don't know how to interpret the overall wear pattern either. I just don't have any experience with bearing inspections.

Top row is top half, right is right, etc. Aside from the flaking, does that look about normal to folks or not? A guide to bearing wear I was linked to has me worried I may have a warped case (I already checked the crankshaft runout. It was about as true as true could be.), but not having much experience, I realize I may be overreacting.

I apologize for being so clueless. Thank you all so much for the help.

Looks okay to me. I'd replace the bearings since it's apart but those would have run fine.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nessism is right, those bearings look fine.. normal wear.. that coating you see worn off is the babbit coating.. as long as you don't see deep gouging or any copper coming through.. If that was the case you'd know something was wrong.

Comment

There are various linear scratches along the insides of the shells, but I reckon those are from whatever debris caused/resulted from the bearing flaking. I was more asking about the over-all wear pattern. Thanks for the reassurance

Comment

Don't worry so much. It's only a 450. Now, if it were a real bike......
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
            Don't worry so much. It's only a 450. Now, if it were a real bike......
            450 or not its still $10 a shell half to replace them!
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

I hope he doesn't take his car engine apart.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                its still $10 a shell half to replace them!
                I was already planning to replace the shells. I'm just trying to learn all that I can.

Comment

Originally posted by caltrop View Post
                  There are various linear scratches along the insides of the shells, but I reckon those are from whatever debris caused/resulted from the bearing flaking. I was more asking about the over-all wear pattern.
                  Looks like a normal wear pattern to me. The flaking and scratches are also normal. Plain bearings (vs roller bearings) are sacrificial - they're designed to wear (the flaking) and absorb foreign material (the scratches) to preserve and protect the expensive parts (crankcase and crankshaft). Probably had a lot more miles left in them. But since you have them out, you will of course replace them. Good work...now back to the garage and put her back together.

Comment

What do the counterbalance bearings look like ?

12 x $10 for bearings nearly blew me away the first time I priced that :P
                    I always figured they would be cheap to replace until I started rebuilding.
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

I wonder if some cheap car bearings exist that are identical in dimension?

We used Yamaha 650 wrist pins in an eight cylinder Mercedes once and saved hundreds of dollars.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X