Clutch lever assembly replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch lever assembly replacement

Hi all, my new clutch lever assembly came in the mail today and I'm thinking about putting it on this weekend. This is the whole assembly - housing, lever, switch and wiring.

I've never done this before and there are a couple things intimidating me at the moment

First, it appears that the clutch lever housing slides off. So I have to remove the grip first. No idea how to do this without cutting it off. Is it possible? I'm not opposed to replacing the grips but also not sure what size to buy if I do. I can't seem to find these specifications in my manual.

Second is the light switch / choke assembly - if you look at this fiche it looks like it comes apart by removing the 2 screws marked #20. Is that right? I just don't want to muck around with detaching all the wiring or having little pieces come out when I take it apart.

Any advice?

Well I measured the bars as best I could with a tape measure, looks like 7/8" does that sound right?

Grips are 5.75" long it looks like. I was able to get a little play in the grip by twisting / pulling with my hands, but couldn't get it off. If I can get it loose enough to spray some WD-40 in there would that do the trick? What about reinstalling?

Comment

No need to cut your grips, the switch housing will separate and lift off. Look for two small Phillips-head screws underneath.

WD-40 squirted inside the grip will help loosen the grip. To re-install, clean the grip with soap and water, let dry. Lube the inside with hair spray, slide it on. In a few hours, it will dry and be very tacky, the grips will stay n place.

You are correct on the 7/8" bars.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, Steve. Any recommendations for new grips if I decide to replace them? The bar end is missing on the throttle side and it's bugging me so I might replace.

Comment

Job's done. No new grips yet but may go see what they have at the local bike shop tomorrow. I'm so glad I replaced it, there was a broken metal bit in the lever housing that was just waiting to jam things up in there.

Comment

Working...
          X