Newb mistake, used the wrong oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb mistake, used the wrong oil!

So I made a mistake and put regular 10w-40 motor oil in my bike when I changed the oil about a week and a half ago. It's the "energy conserving" kind which I now know is BAD BAD BAD. I didn't know that you were not supposed to use this type of oil.

So I'm going to go pick up some proper motorcycle oil and change the oil again. I've only ridden about 7 miles around the neighborhood on the bad oil. Haven't noticed any shifting issues so I hope I haven't affected anything. My question is: do I need to change the filter as well? The manual says 2.6q for a normal oil change, 3.4q if changing the filter (this actually surprises me, is there really that much more oil draining out when you pull the filter?).

I don't want to buy 4 quarts if I don't have to. Thoughts?

And yes, you can all point and laugh now I'm just glad I realized my mistake before I rode it a lot.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM.

Why would you want to leave any (besides what hides in every corner/pocket inside the engine) of the other oil in it to save a couple of bucks?

Eric

Comment

You're right, I don't really mind buying the extra oil I just didn't know if I had to. Would you recommend replacing the filter too?

Comment

You might get by with simply draining the filter for a period of time.
        If you can keep it from getting dirty.

Eric

Comment

Then I guess I replace it

It's only 5 bucks after all. Can't believe I did this

Comment

Are you going to be replacing with a form of Rotella or something else?

Eric

Comment

I was thinking this valvoline oil. Should I use the Rotella instead? Is this a better choice?

Comment

Please tell me what brand of oil you used.

Until now, I have not heard of ANY 10w-40 oil being the "energy conserving" type, they have all been -20 or -30 oils, but no -40 or -50.

Are you SURE it was "energy conserving"? Did it have those words in the API "donut" on the back panel?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used this oil

Scroll down in the description, you will see this:

Standards: API SM/SL, ILSAC GF-4 & GF-3, Energy Conserving

Comment

Rotella is good stuff, and way cheaper than motorcycle oil. I'd remove the filter and dump out any oil inside, then replace the filter and button up the engine. The shaft drive 650 has a second oil drain location, under the secondary transmission gears. Be sure to drain both areas before adding fresh oil.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys, will be doing this right away after work. Will probably use the Rotella 15w40 unless anyone has a reason to use something else.

Comment

The manual calls for applying thread lock cement to the nuts on the oil filter when putting it back on. Is that necessary? Is Loctite blue appropriate for this application? There's no mention of doing this on Bikecliff's oil / filter change tutorial.

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                          Thanks guys, will be doing this right away after work. Will probably use the Rotella 15w40 unless anyone has a reason to use something else.
                          You got it (it turns out there's some juices (additives) which our wet clutches really like (and are missing from today's regular oils.) And the stuff is cheap!
                          We call that ... winfinity.

Comment

The manual calls for applying thread lock cement to the nuts on the oil filter when putting it back on. Is that necessary? Is Loctite blue appropriate for this application? There's no mention of doing this on Bikecliff's oil / filter change tutorial.
                            No. But you might want to use NEW lock washers.

Eric

Comment

Never used it. Just a cross-pattern tightening procedure (but NOT too tight!) and you should be golden.

Comment

Working...
                              X