Gasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket question

I have looked up how people put in new gaskets, and wanted to ask a specific question.

Do you use a gasket prep for any or all of your gaskets, if so what do you use?

Thanks
    Kimo

If your gasket surfaces are properly clean, and you use original Suzuki gaskets, there shouldn't be any leakage. Some people like to use grease on the valve cover gasket to assure it doesn't stick, but gasket sealer isn't necessary.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So is $114.00 right for an OEM head gasket from a dealer? And i am seeing 2 models of cam covers for my 82 GS850, how do i know which one i have?

Comment

Hi,

$144.00 is the retail price. You can get it a little cheaper from an online vendor ($90 from partshark.com), but then you have to pay shipping.

Count the number of bolt holes in your valve cover. Order the valve cover gasket with the same number of holes. Yours should be the 19 bolt hole gasket.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Your gasket may depend on the production date of your bike.

Some time, either just before or during, the '82 production run, Suzuki changed from a 16-bolt to a 19-bolt pattern on the 850. Not sure if there were a few of the early '82s that still had the 16-bolt head, but it's more likely that you will need the 19.

Easy way to tell, without actually counting all the bolts:
          Look at the very front of the valve cover, where there is a bulge for the sprocket and cam chain. Is there a bolt on the side of the bulge? Another easy 'tell' is to look along the back edge of the intake side, right over the carburetors. Are there 2 or 3 bolts on each side?

The extra bolt on each side of the rear edge and the single extra bolt up front are the extras that make the difference.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, so I know that since I have it open I should be replacing other things when I have the header off and even some things with the cam cover too. But setting that aside for a moment, what is the necessary components that need when replacing the head gasket and cam gasket?

It's really a money thing, and with the OEM header gasket being as pricy as it is. I wma hoping everything else is good inside. Course I never know, but let's hope for the best

Comment

You could check with a Wiseco dealer or Cometic on a head gasket. The head gasket that they use for the 77-79 GS750 big bore kit is the same as your GS850. (69mm). Probably around $50. I have used the head gaskets that come with the Wiseco big bore kits and have never had a leak. Dar

Comment

So is this the one for my GS850 from Cometic?

And is this the one from Wiseco?

Those prices are nice, but need to now i am looking at the right one for my engine.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Those would work.

Comment

If you are replacig the head gasket then you will prob need to replace the base gasket as it tends to become unsealed when removing the head.. Honing your cylinders and cleaning your pistons shpuld be done as well. No real cost..

Comment

If i go that deep (which i forgot that taking the head off would loosen the the base gasket as well, thank you for that info) shouldnt i replace the piston rings as well? Or would those be ok to use again?

Comment

Hi,

In for a penny, in for a pound. The ring sets are not cheap, around $30-$40 for each cylinder, depending on where you buy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah that figures.

BassCliff, do you have or do you know where i can see a video or a step by step top end rebuild? I am going to be doing my carb rebuild based on your tutorial, but if i am going to do that much on the engine i want somthing to follow.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X