Moldy rain gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moldy rain gear

Once again my search-fu has failed. Any suggestions for moldy gear, other than replacing it?

It looks as though I stashed my rain jacket in the saddle bag while wet and forgot to take everything out later to dry out. So now, all my rain and cold weather gear is moldy. The worst was the leather palms on my cold weather gloves. They're completely covered in what looks like a gray/white dust. I didn't stick my hands inside to see what it was like in there. Other pieces, like a balaclava, have the more traditional mold colors. The rain jacket and pants themselves don't seem able to host the stuff nearly as well, but still show some signs.

A bit of Googling turns up the expected use of bleach to kill the stuff, but I'm not sure things like thinsulate and gore-tex will survive.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

This stuff helps eliminate odor, but I'm not sure if it actually kills the mold/mildew...

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      A bit of Googling turns up the expected use of bleach to kill the stuff, but I'm not sure things like thinsulate and gore-tex will survive.
      Bleach is unnecessary and overkill. Good warm soapy water will take care of most of it, but membranes like gore-tex might hold mold spores. The synthetic fibers will probably be OK, but the natural fibers/leather will be tougher to clean. Use a washing machine where you can.

I suspect a lot of people suggest bleach is because it'll deodorize, but that's all it'll gain you.

Comment

OK, so I can run the simpler pieces through the machine. Good to know.

The balaclava I might replace just to be sure I don't try breathing through moldy fabric. They're cheap enough.

I did a little more searching on the gore-tex. Mold can get into it and decrease the water repellant properties. Ruin it, in other words, cleaned or not.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I did a little more searching on the gore-tex. Mold can get into it and decrease the water repellent properties. Ruin it, in other words, cleaned or not.
          The problem is that the pores are one way. You want the outside surface to be water proof, but the inside to breath. The spores will plug the inside pores meaning it'll be more like a rain slick...hot and humid. And guess what kind of environment mold likes?

I feel your pain too...good Goretex gear isnt cheap.

Comment

The balaclava I might replace just to be sure I don't try breathing through moldy fabric. They're cheap enough.
            Exactly what I was thinking. Not worth risking it.

Comment

Wash machine...Dawn dish soap..1 box of baking soda.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X