#2 intake clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 intake clearance

Hey All, haven't posted in a long time, been working on my 78 gs 750. I will be posting a few pics. Its looking pretty good so far.

Question - doing the valve shims. Intake #2 currently has a reading of .089mm which is outside of the .03-.08mm spec. The shim that is currently in it is 2.75. I do have a 2.80 but I think this would close it up to much. It would put it at .039mm. What do think I should do. Leave it as is or place the 2.80 in it.

Thank you

Leave it as it is - it'll be fine.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

In this particular case, tight is worse than loose

I've seen people say they've run them up to 0.12mm with no ill effects...

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        In this particular case, tight is worse than loose

I've seen people say they've run them up to 0.12mm with no ill effects...
        +3, leave it alone.
        Loose is better than tight.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well thanks to all. You have made my decision based on your vast knowledge. I think I owe you all at least a pic. Give me 30min or so and I'll post one. Still on dial up, believe it or not, so it will take a little while.

Comment

Here it is so far. Striped down to the frame. This is my first go round of restoring a bike and must say its pretty enjoyable to see the results of dedicated work. Enjoy the pic and thanks again guys. Appreciate your help.

Comment

Yet another confirmation to leave it as is.

And, since you are in the middle of the project, let me point you to my signature.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry guys, here is a better resolution shot, I think.

Comment

Looks better when it's bigger.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Vety nice.

Tell us about the paint job, please.

Comment

That bike looks fantastic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Vety nice.

Tell us about the paint job, please.
                        Thanks to all for the compliments.
                        This is my first restore project and will not be my last. Bought the bike a year ago for $500. Was in pretty bad cosmetic condition and mechanically so so.

I totally stripped the bike to its frame. Frame was pretty rusty, so out came the drill, wire wheel and allot of time. Repainted all the black you see with Tremclad Gloss Black Professional rattle can paint. First used Tremclad rust inhibitor, then two coats of Tremclad Pro Primer then two coats of the paint. Turned out pretty good and smooth. While those parts were drying over the winter I painted the engine (after doing a little valve work and minor other work). Used VHT caliber paint. Went on very well. As far as the tank/side covers and tail piece, I had a local shop paint them. Turned out a little darker than the original but not bad at all. The did a very good job. Stripped it to metal, filled a few dents primed and paint. The inside of the tank was and is in very good condition. Don't know why but it is. So, long story short, I have done literally all the work myself with exception to painting the body pieces. I feel pretty good about my work as this is the first restore project I have taken on. Just working on the cabeling and brakes now. So far so good.

Thanks to all on this site, you have made this project allot easier.

Thanks

Comment

here is one more pic

Comment

Still looks better when they are bigger.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

That one looks sweet at any size.

Comment

Working...
                              X