K&N air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N air filter

I was cleaning my K&N air filter and noticed the foam seal on the front is some what flat now and no life to it (foam seal is dead even with the flat edge). Thinking about replacing it with some other type of foam
    (weather stripping?) as to get a tighter seal with it. Thoughts?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I added some of those felt pads to the back of my filter to push the seal flush against the hole.

But I don't see why the weatherstripping wouldn't work as well.

Comment

I had the same problem with mine; weather stripping worked fine.

Comment

It was a commercial weather stripping.
        It came in sheets.
        I am struggling to remember where I picked it up.

Comment

A sheet would work, that way I can cut it to size. The strips are gonna be a pain, since they will kink and deform with too tight of a radius. So where did you get yours lol.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I believe one of the industrial refrigeration guys from Cimco gave it to me. I'd try an HVAC place. It came rolls 3mm, and 5mm

Comment

Hmmm....well Glider that would work for your filter, this is my filter.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Thought just hit me, how about a large O-ring?
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

You'd never? wut? seen a filter like that or use a o-ring what what?? lol
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                    Yes. Yes.

I never even imagined a GS using a different filter.
                    Aaaah okay, the 80-81 GS 750 E and 1100 E, think the Ls had them, don't know if anything else did. Not a bad filter, mine is 31 years old. Oh that round thing isn't an o-ring, it's the foam gasket that I was taking about.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                    X