Better Gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Gaskets?

are there better gaskets than the ones Z1 sell? The new gasket i have on my valve cover still weeps oil and it's been about 3-4 thousand miles and the float bowl gaskets on my carbs still let some blowout fuel around the edges escape. any tips? I got some work coming up and may just decide to replace the gaskets to get this leaking to stop.

OEM gaskets are almost always considered the best. Lots of folks like RealGaskets at the valve cover though IF the tach enters the head and not the valve cover (RGs are thicker than stock gaskets and can cause clearance issues for tach gears entering the valve cover). You don't mention what bike you have, nor is it in your sig (hint, hint). Could it be your cam end covers weeping? Surface prep?

OEM gaskets would do you well for float bowls, but if you're leaking over the sides it sounds like either your float heights are high or your needle valves are having issues. As long as your petcock is working OK it's livable I guess.

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
    are there better gaskets than the ones Z1 sell? The new gasket i have on my valve cover still weeps oil and it's been about 3-4 thousand miles and the float bowl gaskets on my carbs still let some blowout fuel around the edges escape. any tips? I got some work coming up and may just decide to replace the gaskets to get this leaking to stop.

Comment

sorry, i need to update my sig.....it's 79 1000L. need to look at the tach again to be sure. it has a new petcock and I'm going to take off the carbs and follow the rebuild instructions on here. it has new intake boots and all. I checked the number 4 and when i took the bowl off gas didn't gush out but I didn't check the number 3 carb. my next guess is needle issues but i can't answer that till i get inside them.

Comment

Looks like you have the tach going into the head then. You would be OK with a Real Gasket. They're pricey, but re-usable (just don't torque them much at all):

Steve posted a great tip for use with these, to set the cam end seals with sealant on the bottom side and then bolt the valve cover down without gasket overnight. That will help set the cam seals so there isn't a sharp ridge for the gasket to try to bridge.

Either that or go OEM.

Comment

Awesome! thanks man, this is what I was looking for. I'm gonna install the dyna S system at the same time I do the rest of the work, so I'm looking forward to getting all the parts in and seeing how she turns out.

Comment

Working...
          X