1980 GS1100E: Can't keep her running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Tom!

I feel like this is something I need to address myself. It's a guilty feeling for allowing this to get to this point.

After that I think I'm going to sell her. She means a lot to me but I have too many bikes now and I want to down size my lifestyle. Less means more to me right now.

Comment

Mikuni float body with loose plug

Well, I've rebuilt two of my carbs. I am stuck on the last two.

One has some buggered threads where the pilot screw was stripped. Hope I don't have to replace it... But I'll come back to that later.

My initial dilemma has to do with an aluminum plug that fell out during cleaning. It happened on both carbs #1 and #2. Does anyone know how to replace them?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Another picture: This one showing the plug out of it's seated position.

Comment

Another picture to show where the plug belonged.

Comment

Big T, I'm rebuilding the carbs. They seemed to have been properly jetted in the 90's but I'm installing the larger main jets supplied by 6ensigma. It's my understanding this will help with the running too lean problem.

I'll have a look at the valves after I get through the carbs...

Comment

Tear down

Some pics for reference...

Comment

All new screws for mounting brackets and carb tops have been bought. Keeping the allen screws for the bowls. They were new.

Comment

Only screw on bracket that needed an alternative removing device.

Comment

Other bracket was in better shape.

Comment

Does anybody know?

It looks like the washer on the throttle adjusting screw should be on the other side of the spring???

Comment

Serendipity!

Well, I figured it out, thanks to the "BScarb" rebuild pictures I downloaded from the forum a long time ago. Specifically 042_Main%20jet%20pointed%out picture.

The rebuild kits came with a gasket that I couldn't figure out where it went. Not thinking about the loose plug that had me stumped, I was browsing pictures to try to figure out where the gasket went.

Low and behold! That gasket holds in the aluminum plug on carbs #1 and #2. Thank you to the contributor of that tutorial.

Comment

Back to the bad threads on the mixture screw port

Has anyone ever helicoil-ed one of these?

Comment

Working...
                          X