Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Hub

78 GS1000E

After rebuilding my forks I put everythihng back together last night. I have a question about the speedo hub ....

Is it supposed to free spin? For instance, with the cable unattached is the hub supposed to move?

If so, that means that any tork will be placed on the cable. ( i noticed that with the cable attached on the hub and not the speedo, it moves)

I am assuming I put something back together wrong
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

If you put it back in on the correct side of the wheel then no it won't free spin. Post up a picture of that area so we can see it.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      If you put it back in on the correct side of the wheel then no it won't free spin. Post up a picture of that area so we can see it.
      I did put the notched side on the speedo hub side. Also thought I lined up the splines.

It is pouring rain here right now, so I will get a pic later.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Ok I took it all back apart and now suspect that I didnt have the bearing seated far enough. The tabbed washer inside the hub was even bent, which I have since fixed.

Now that I am getting ready to put everything back together, I wanted to ask how this hub is "fixed" so it does not rotate at all.

The washer with tabs that fits into the indentation of wheel are what moves around as the wheel turns. What hols the hub still other than the speedo cable?

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

it gets pulled up tight when you tighten the axle nut
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

AHa!! That brings up one more question. WHen you tighten the wheel, (on mine) if you tighten too hard the wheel doesnt turn as freely. Have I screwed something up?

AND in the picture above, is the bearing supposed to be flush with the bottom of the cutouts for the tabbed washer? My bearing is "almost" flush with the bottom of the cutouts.
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

have you fitted the axle spacer in between the 2 bearings?
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                have you fitted the axle spacer in between the 2 bearings?
                yes it is in there
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

ok, have you got the axle spacers, (that slot into the fork leg clamps) fitted correctly?
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

I thought I did.

It is apart right now but when i put it back in I will re-check it. I did notice that in the shop manual it showed the head end of the bolt opposite of the speedo hub side...and on mine it was on the speedo hub side.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                      I thought I did.

It is apart right now but when i put it back in I will re-check it. I did notice that in the shop manual it showed the head end of the bolt opposite of the speedo hub side...and on mine it was on the speedo hub side.
                      the bolt doesn;t matter which way it goes in. the spacers do matter.the shoulders on the spacers have to face inwards, towards the wheel
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                        AHa!! That brings up one more question. WHen you tighten the wheel, (on mine) if you tighten too hard the wheel doesnt turn as freely. Have I screwed something up?
                        The axle spacer should float free, but only just. If it is binding on the bearings it may not be absolutely straight in which case it will bind on the axle. If that's the case you will need to pull the right bearing out a bit.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Ok thanks everyone. I hope it is ok because I dont want to try and pull the new bearing...since i dont have a tool. I originally got the old ones out from the reverse side with hammer and screwdriver...which riuns them.
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Thanks guys. I just put it all back together and it works now !

I think you were right about the forks not quite being centered on the groves may be a part of the previous conundrum.

Have a great weekend!
                            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                            80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                            X