Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle tubes and getting a grip

Witty title huh? Anyways...

I took a look at my throttle tube yesterday, and realized it was quite knackered and looked very run down. So, I have decided to replace it with an R1 throttle tube, and grips to match (later down the road, barend mirrors).

Here's my questions:
    - I have a feeling buying new (like from BikeBandit for instance) is a much better idea then dealing with some used grips/tubes. Am I right? Or as long as there wasn't much mileage, it should be fine.
    - Grip recommendations? Honestly, I don't even know if it matters too much.

I purchased the throttle tube and grips from the 2004 Yamaha R1, and installed them tonight, can't tell yet if it's shorter to get to WOT or not, but at least the grips are new and not torn as were the original ones...

And they actually don't look too bad, a wee bit shorter in length, so I had to move things around a bit to have it all nice once again, but overall not bad..

Comment

I'm thinking of going with the exact same year actually. I looked up the throttle tube/grips and they were the cheapest of the new(ish) models on BB.

However, I think I will be waiting for some extra cash to get the grips/tube since it's not extremely pertinent to get them now.

Comment

Other than using BikeBandit, the highest priced on-line vendor, I agree. Buy new.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Other than using BikeBandit, the highest priced on-line vendor, I agree. Buy new.
          I just have them saved for the use of the fiche. I use G&S Suzuki most of the time unless I can find a better deal somewhere else. Any others that I might not know about?

Edit: Just found the lowest so far $35.41 shipped for RH grip assembly and LH grip. Shipping is stiff as hell...
          Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2013, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Good to see that you are doing your homework. Many vendors these days hide the true cost of their products behind the "shipping and handling" fees.
            BassCliff has a list of preferred vendors. Unfortunately, I have found that you have to do the legwork for every vendor, all the way to check out when they finally reveal the true cost of the product you selected.
            Z1 is another one that can order most anything for you, even though it is not listed on their website. You have to call them and talk to a (gasp!) real person. Good folk to deal with, also.

Comment

i run all gixxer stuff here...i got my cable on the farthest cable settin on my tube...much shorter then stock

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Good to see that you are doing your homework. Many vendors these days hide the true cost of their products behind the "shipping and handling" fees.
                BassCliff has a list of preferred vendors. Unfortunately, I have found that you have to do the legwork for every vendor, all the way to check out when they finally reveal the true cost of the product you selected.
                Z1 is another one that can order most anything for you, even though it is not listed on their website. You have to call them and talk to a (gasp!) real person. Good folk to deal with, also.
                Well, I'll see where the cheapest is for it all. I've read some good reviews on this dealer too Apache Motorcycles based in Arizona, so shipping should be a little quicker compared to the parts dealers in, say, the East Coast. I have been doing the "check out" check out to see their REAL prices... The things I'm willing to do to save a few bucks After I finish my detective work, I'll call Z1 and see what they can do

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                i run all gixxer stuff here...i got my cable on the farthest cable settin on my tube...much shorter then stock

Wow... That cockpit looks like a very nice place to be. Love the orange/white 850.
                Random question but do you have a link to how to do the choke right at the triple? The choke on my left bar is a little annoying if I'm honest

Comment

Working...
                X