Cold engine and clutch slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold engine and clutch slipping

I've got a '78 GS750E that's in overall good shape considering her age. However, when I start it (starts right up even w/ kick start) I'm not able to get it to move much until it has warmed up for between 10-15 minutes. If I try to drive it before it's warm enough, I have to slip the hell out of the clutch and rev it to ridiculous levels. Even then, when I hit the "grip zone" on the clutch the RPMs drop immediately with little to no movement from the bike.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for your help in advance.

p.s. Sorry if this has been answered already. I spent 30 minutes looking for it but maybe I'm using the wrong words.

I'd look at adjusting your clutch, it's possible the plates are stuck together too.

Comment

I'm going to have to say that the engine is bogging and running badly..

#1 cause is dirty/plugged carbs

Comment

Hi,

Yes, everything starts with properly cleaned carbs, then valve adjustment, then air intake repair, then charging/electrical system service, etc. See the "mega-welcome" in your post in the "GS Owners" section. Go through the maintenance lists and properly address each item. Skipping steps or taking short-cuts will be frustrating at best, dangerous at worst. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Try adjusting the clutch so there's a tad less free play on the arm. The way you posted I assume it runs well enough. Does your problem get better after it warms up?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. CableGuy, it's much better when it's warmed up, but it still isn't a "firmly responsive" clutch. When warm it still feels like it slips some at take off.

The bike does run fine and the idle sounds great, otherwise. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined but I'll keep you informed if I'm able to diagnose the problem after going through the maintenance list. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

If you have to rev the hell out of it to get it to move either your brakes are frozen in the on position or you are not firing on all cylinders. 750's make good torque and you don't have to rev them much to take off even when cold.

Comment

No, it's definitely not a brake issue. Both wheels move fine and I can push the bike myself without much resistance.

Comment

If you want a reliable and safe machine, you need to to clean and rebuild the carbs, get the air intake system correct and adjust the valves and get good brakes and tires.......for a start. Your initial problem of the bike taking forever to "warm up" is most likely the valves in need of adjustment, but, the rest absolutely needs to be done.

Doing anything else is wasting your time.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                  X