Speedo slow to respond - not the cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo slow to respond - not the cable

78 gs550. My speedometer is super slow to pick up speed and hangs when I slow. I lubed the cable and it's all good. The odometer works fine, but the speed is way off. I can be going 45 and it thinks I'm going 20, then I can be stopped and it will very slowly drop from 45 to 0 after quite some time.

I talked to the local repair guy and he says the gauge is rusty inside. Any way to fix this? I've heard of people soaking gauges in alcohol, but I don't think these are the kind of gauges you can do that on. Any ideas?

if you are committed to taking them apart because you know they are basically worthless you now have the careless abandon required to do one of two things:

A.) pry the front cover off (very carefully so it goes back on)

B.) Cut the housing so you can carefully glue it all back together.

Both work. I prefer A

Once you get it apart you can try some WD 40 or other cleaner on the spinning mechanism you will see inside. I have tried getting a light oil to travel down the tach input but it generally goes everywhere inside and is not as effective as a cleaning.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-15-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I have taken a drill and drilled a 1/4 hole about half way down on the side of the casing, then you can peak inside to see where the center is and the spinner thing is. Then I took some light 3in1 spray oil, not WD40 but a light weight oil and lightly spray that area through the straw that came with the can . Then you can seal the hole up with a little dab of silicone , or go to you local hardware store and got a rubber plug to fit the hole.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I will try taking mine apart. At this point I don't care much about the gauge but I would like to keep the low original mileage. Thanks guys.

Comment

Pls keep us updated on your success. My 79 GS1000E was just diagnosed with "dead speedometer syndrome". it was working on the way into the office, stopped working somewhere on the way home. I hold out some hope that it is the cable, but no real time to wrench on it this week. Just out of paranoia, I ordered a replacmenet cable, and found a drive unit cheap on ebay. There is another post with a great play by play on cutting the housing-- but I am hoping that I do not need to. Others describe hearing a squeak from the unit before failure. I think that I heard that also- but it may have been coming from the drive unit down near the wheel. Murphy's law is my credo in life, so we'll see.
          1979 GS 1000e
          1967 Triumph Bonneville
          1986 Honda VFR 750
          2014 Indian Vintage
          2015 KLR 650
          2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
          2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
          2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
          And so on...

sigpic

Comment

I just took the dash off, turned the set upside down and gave each a good shot of PB Blaster and after a few miles everything was back to normal.

Doesnt matter if you replace then guage or not as gar as the actual mileage goes. You open up the new one and turn the dials to reset the milage to what your original guage says. Just be sure to start at the right side of the reading and go to the left as you rest the numbers..AND go UP in the count so you dont snap the little plastic stops between each number.

In other words, if the far right number on the new one is 3 and you need a 7..then go up till its at 7. Then do the next one and so on till youve reset the milage correctly.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good news for anyone interested- I unscrewed the cable from the back of the guage yesterday evening, and to my untrained eye it looked fine. I did the same from the drive unit at the wheel, and Boom--- the last 3 inches of the cable actually fell out of the sleeve. I never really looked at one of these in detail before, it has a fitting that is similiar to a flathead screw, which must mesh into the drive unit somehow. For now I just buttoned it back up, and I am praying that Bike Bandit sends me the right cable and that everything matches up. I was also thrilled to learned from another post that the reason that my Turn Signal control unit was no longer cancelling the signals is that it reads from the speedometer. No speedometer ='s no auto cancel. Cant beat the forum and knowledgable GS'rs.
              1979 GS 1000e
              1967 Triumph Bonneville
              1986 Honda VFR 750
              2014 Indian Vintage
              2015 KLR 650
              2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
              2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
              2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
              And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for this thread... My odometer died today.. I did a search here... followed the advice... opened up the body and found this

Any Ideas on how to replace the worn gear?
                sigpic
                Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
                  Thanks for this thread... My odometer died today.. I did a search here... followed the advice... opened up the body and found this

Any Ideas on how to replace the worn gear?
                  With another speedohead
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                    With another speedohead
                    Well..there is that.....
                    sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      With another speedohead
                      This is a correct response.

Replacement speedo, parts speedo, it really doesn't matter, you need one to fix what you have.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        This is a correct response.

Replacement speedo, parts speedo, it really doesn't matter, you need one to fix what you have.

http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...&postcount=231
                        yes...that was the obvious answer... However.. I was wondering if anyone had replaced anything like the worn gear in the odometer. 80-81 speedo's are a bit rare as it turns out.....

But thanks for the obvious answer.
                        sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

found one at the bone yard...10k on it.... after some mixing and matching (and some white lithium to the part that was chewed up on the old one...) works fine...

now ..the ethical dilemma......... to change the odometer to reflect the actual (or supposed) mileage....
                          sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post

But thanks for the obvious answer.
                            There is no other answer... unless you are good at re-welding and grinding new teeth.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              There is no other answer... unless you are good at re-welding and grinding new teeth.
                              I thought that someone might have found a nylon or synthetic replacement... When I got into it I did see that the housing was pressed together and held together with slots and tabs bent and twisted down to secure the moving parts. Any attempt to pry it open and change out the gears would have destroyed it.

Thanks for the link you supplied. It helped quite a bit.
                              sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Working...
                              X