Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up an '83 GS550L. I have needs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up an '83 GS550L. I have needs!

Greetings All! I received a 1983 GS550L yesterday on trade. It's my second GS bike (I also had a GS850g for a bit).

The new bike is in pretty good condition but I'll be needing the CDI Igniter box, left side frame cover (in blue) and front turn signals. Any direction or parts availability will be appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!

WBubble in Washington.

Howdy new member.
    Your bike shares its Igniter with all 550 cc Suzukis model years 83-86. These items are relatively hard to come by and usually expensive.
    They are in fact so rare that I am hoarding three in dread fear of one going bad.

The turn signals used on your bike appeared on several different models of bike int he early to mid 80s:

Signals of the OEM variety can be had on Ebay.
    If your bike bike is in excellent condition you may want to opt for new aftermarket copies of the OEM like these:

Comment

left side covers are rare but possible to find...keep looking on Ebay for them
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There are a few blue covers on ebay at present.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Wbubble,

If you can't find an igniter box at a decent price you can replace the ignition using a Dynatech unit, the Dyna-S being the usual replacement. Feel free to check the parts wanted and parts for sale sections of the forum as well as the eBay and your local Craigslist. In the meantime, here's a bunch of info for you. It's your "mega-welcome". Learn all of this and you will be an expert too.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Alas BC there is no aftermarket solution as the Dyna ignitions do not fit. Skreemer I think was one who shoe-horned a Dyna S into place but it had to be left exposed as the "points" cover had to be left off the bike.
            I think one of the guys also got a hyperpak but I cannot be certain of this.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Alas BC there is no aftermarket solution as the Dyna ignitions do not fit.
              Drat! Well that's bloody inconvenient.

BassCliff

Comment

there is a really smashed up one at work. I will look and see, just got the seat going for the carbs next. whats a cdi, same as r/r ? It is a chain drive. If that matters.

Comment

There should be a golden coloured box beneath the left cover panel.
                  It will have a decal with the word TR Igniter on it.

That is the magic box he needs.

It looks like this but has a different part number.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
                    whats a cdi, same as r/r ?
                    No, not the same. Many people mistakenly call the igniter unit a CDI but they are two different ignition technologies.

The r/r is a "regulator/rectifier" that turns the AC generated by the stator into DC required to charge the battery and run the bike's electrics.

Spend a few hours reading the links in your "mega-welcome" and my website. You'll become a pretty good expert fairly quickly.

BassCliff

Comment

I dont have enough time to read it all but I have been reading it off and on. Thanks though.

Comment

Are you sure about the Dyna kit ? I just installed a Dyna s 32 kit on my GS550T. Fit just fine.

Comment

Dead certain.

Comment

Thanks All! The igniter I need is 32900-43400. I located one in a lot on eBay, it arrived today and I believe it's faulty. Still no spark at any plug. I did locate a left side cover, however, and a new rear seat handle.

If anyone has a lead on the elusive GS550 igniter..... Please let me know!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
                              I dont have enough time to read it all but I have been reading it off and on. Thanks though.
                              But you have time to post here and wait for answers? You also have time to order parts you don't need and wait for them? OK. You're welcome.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X