speedometer sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer sending unit

I finally took the front wheel off to see if the sending unit was bad. It looks like the washer with the tabs that engage the wheel is sliping, it is hard to turn the washer with the tabs,when you press it in and hold it while your spinning it, it looks like the washer that acts like a shim , this is between the snap ring and the washer with the tabs,is not thick enough so the tabs on the inside will stay engaged. I could not get it apart other than that, looks like a seal of some kind? I didnt want to damage it if its possible to fix it. I am going to try to find a thicker washer in hopes of it solving the problem. I looked and it seems to be sold as a 1 piece unit without rebuild parts. Any one have any luck rebuilding one? Packing it with grease wont work unless I pry the part that looks like a seal. Thanks for any info. I'm going to rebiuld the front brakes while it is apart, so I got time to wait on parts.

I also have a second question what oil or grease is best for shooting into the tach to try to get it to quit bouncing all over? Thanks for any info on this also.

Look in the hole the cable goes in...see that brown looking board thing with 4 squares in it? Take something that will fit in two oposite holes ( I use the tips of split ring pliers) and unscrew it. The lower worm gear will now come out.

Some folks have taken a small socket that fits in and ground two cross slits to make a 4 tab socket that grips the retainer.

At the hub...the washer with the 2 tabs should be flat and the tabs at a 90 degree to the flat washer area. Next..take a medium flat tip and go inside the seal edge and gently pry up around the inner edge of the seal..it will pop out. Now the big drive worm gear will come out. Clean it all up, reluibe and reassemble.

The washer is deformed due to over tightening the axle bolt. just reflatten it and tweek the tabs accordingly and reuse it.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-19-2013, 10:41 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The bounce...remove the core from the cable sheath and run a long wire ( like a gun barrel cleaner arrangement) and drag some rags thru it to get the old crap out of it.

Relube the core with a good smear of grease before inserting back into the outer sheath. Be sure the cable isnt pinched or at any severe angles when you hook it all back up..then see how the guage acts.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

WOW, didnt expect a responce that quick, Thanks, I will give it a try.

The tach has a brand new cable on it, I tried to spray some oil up the hole where the cable attaches but it only helped a little, but it was better that is why I thought there must be something better than what I used. Thanks again.

Comment

Give it another good shot of LIGHT oil such as PB Blaster or another penetrating oil. What I do is use one of those red straws abd bend it so I can shhot a good shot up into the connections. Give it a few weeks or at least days to work in good and start loosening things up.

Can even take the dash off and flip the guages over to get at the spot even better.

Comment

Its going to storm or rain the next 3 days so I'll give her hell. I hope everything works good. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Get the screw driver blade in there deep between the very bottom hard edge of the seal and the big worm gear and twist and work your way around..work it up. Its basically a big steel ringed seal...sort of like a fork seal if youve ever had one in your hand to look at how its constructed.

Comment

I got the gears out the seal is still attached. I dont think it hurt it? It was nasty looking in there,sprayed it out with carb cleaner. I'm going to take the washer in to work to try to flatten it out,much better place to flatten something out. snap ring plyers worked great. I used a crooked pick from a 4 piece set from harbour freight to pry the gear out, may try the seal next but it looks pretty good. Thanks again would not have tried to unscrew the keeper on the worm gear.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

It still didnt work, I bought one from a member on here. I'm going to take it back apart and try to get the seal out. It seems to be binding when I turned it? The used one came today and it turns smooth. I was in a hurry and probly missed something. I will find out. Thanks for help, never would have tried to take one apart with out your help. I now have 2 or 3 extra speedo's. I will have to check them out to see if they are any good. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X