Clutch Rod Oil Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Rod Oil Seal Replacement

The oil seal on the right side of the motor that goes around the clutch shaft on the exterior of the case. Basically, while sitting on the bike, look down to the right, and there it is. That is what was leaking on my 81 GS850G. I got a new seal and attempted to remove the old one, it just ripped apart and now I have parts of the old seal still in the case.

Does anyone know a way of removing the rest of that seal?

Originally posted by MattGJ View Post
    The oil seal on the right side of the motor that goes around the clutch shaft on the exterior of the case. Basically, while sitting on the bike, look down to the right, and there it is. That is what was leaking on my 81 GS850G. I got a new seal and attempted to remove the old one, it just ripped apart and now I have parts of the old seal still in the case.

Does anyone know a way of removing the rest of that seal?
    That seal has a metal or a hard plastic support lining it in, it has to be pried out. You may have to take a small sharp chisel and careful cut down the length of it then pry it out the edges to pop it off. Put a piece of paper towel or something in the hole so nothing falls down into the clutch area.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

take the clutch cover off and knock the whole shaft out. the oil seal comes out with it. then slide the new seal onto the shaft and knock it back in as a complete unit.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thank You

I appreciate the feedback. I ended up getting it out with a hook and prying it out.

Comment

Working...
        X