Going from 12" bars to stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from 12" bars to stock

Will I need to replace all the lines and cables? Bike currently has 12" but I have handlebars that are supposed to be factory, can the lines be rerouted to work or am I looking at more work here
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

Don't know, can't see it from here. Does it have some aftermarket cables?

Let us know how it works out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There were many "stock" bars that came from the factory, depending on the bike model.

For example, the "L" version of your bike had higher bars than the "G" version. Your sig says you have a "G" bike, but I don't think we have seen any pictures, and some "new" guys don't know the difference.

If you have some stock "L" bars, you might not need to change the cables, but will probably have to re-route them a bit. However, if you have some standard "G" bars (or lower) you will definitely need new cables. Get cables for the "G" model, they will be short enough.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, now it does not say G, GL, or L. Hard to tell.
        If the "stock" bars have more rise than the ones you currently have on there, you may need longer bars.
        If the "stock" bars have less rise or pullback than the ones currently on the bike, you may get away with rerouting the current cables.

Comment

Sorry guys. It's a gl according to the title. The only picture I have of the bike is the one the guy texted to me before I bought it. I'll get one up

Comment

Comment

I'm not sure if you can tell anything by that pic or not.

Comment

I can tell a couple of things:
                1) The PO was a complete idiot.
                2) He left the stock cables on there.
                Most people do not care for the stock longhorn bars and go to a Daytona bend. Far more comfortable, they tell me. If you did that you would need shorter cables.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  I can tell a couple of things:
                  1) The PO was a complete idiot.
                  2) He left the stock cables on there.
                  Most people do not care for the stock longhorn bars and go to a Daytona bend. Far more comfortable, they tell me. If you did that you would need shorter cables.
                  PO was an idiot lol. So if those are the stock cables I should have no issues going back to stock bars then. Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                  X