help identify my parts! gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help identify my parts! gs750

Hi all, just joined the forum. I have bought a cheap non runner gs750 1977. It is in need of work to get it up and running and then on to a nice cafe.

However before I get started, can you help me work out a few things...

what clutch housing is on it, the rear brake lever hits it and generally doesn't look like other 77 gs750' s.

What is going on with the cam cover end caps?

What swing arm is that?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
    77 gs750

Berkshire, UK

Hmmm, looks like the PO was doing some upgrades to the bike. The swing arm looks to be off the GS1100E (80-81) The other stuff, I have no clue.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Definitely an 1100 swingarm upgrade. But whats going on with that shiny motor mount. Wonder if there was an accident in its past
      Last edited by Mista M; 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM.
      1984 GS550ES
      Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
      4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Looks like the wrong brake lever -it should have some offset to the outside to clear the clutch cover

The mounts for the cam end caps have been ground off

Looks like an 1100 swing arm
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What displacement is stamped on the lower skirt of the cylinders and what is the ID stamped on the engine case next to the oil cap?

Comment

missing end caps

Originally posted by ESEN View Post
            ... What is going on with the cam cover end caps?
            There is no cam cover end caps in your pics, you're missing them.

Comment

the cover looks like it's off an '82 gs, missing the cam end covers.

Comment

maybe the PO swapped engines. what is the engine number?
                I know you didn't ask for opinions but even if the bike was free, a non running bike can get real expensive in a hurry

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Looks like the wrong brake lever -it should have some offset to the outside to clear the clutch cover

The mounts for the cam end caps have been ground off

Looks like an 1100 swing arm
                  Is this swingarm longer than standard? I have what i assume is the standard chain, will it still fit?

Is it not the wrong clutch cover rather than the wrong brake lever? It has the link for the clutch cable visible at the front but all others i have seen dont have that.

So there is no way of attaching the end caps then, without replacing the cam top cover?

It is a replacement engine but the PO didnt know much about it. The bike is at my dads 100 miles away so i cant check the numbers at the moment. It definitely says 750 on the engine case though.
                  77 gs750

Berkshire, UK

Comment

Wheels are later than 77. Looks like dual discs up front. That rear brake is upgraded too

Comment

You seem to have an odd mix of parts. By the looks of the lower case cover, the lower part of the motor is from a TSCC motor. The cylinder head is from a '77-'79 motor and it has the old VM carbs.

Comment

It is the right brake lever..its just bent in. Grab it under the foot pad with a cresent wrench and bend it back out. And youll lotice a little round nub sticking out on the inboard side. That nub is the brake lever stop pad. Look right above that nub abd youll notice a threaded hole. Ther is supposed to be a bolt going in that hole from the bottom and the jam nut on top. The bolt head rests on the nub thats on the brake pedal so it stops BEFORE it can scrape the clutch cover.

Set the levers travel and then set the adjustments on the master cylinders push rod. Then set the brake switches adjustments.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I looks to me like its was a 77 gs 750 E stock thats why the alluminum rims and dual disk front. The swinger is a common upgrade to our bikes and is def from a 80-83 gs1100 E. The only thing im confused on is the clutch cover with the splined shaft coming out by the oil fill for the clutch that is not right for a 77-79 750. It is a 8 valve motor so it might have a shaft motor swaped to chain?

Comment

if your sure it's a750 motor, it looks to me like someone's tried to fit a gs.1000, cover to a 750 motor,studying the picture it looks like i can see 1000 on the cover.that whould also explaine the splined shaft you can see.

Comment

Not possible, the 1000 motor does not have a kicker. Im putting a 79 1000 in my 78 750 so I know first hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X