Help: Cleaning Calipers 78 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Cleaning Calipers 78 GS750

Any tips on how to disassemble and clean up my calipers. Cleaned up and made new lines. Gunk inside calipers!

Pop the pistons out using an air compressor & clean them out with degreaser or whatever. Then blow dry & install new seals using brake fluid for lube.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

this might help

Comment

Turn the air down on your compressor when you pop the piston out. Mine shot out like a rocket.
        Mine were pretty gunked up, ended up cleaning the body and piston with kerosene and brake cleaner. The groove where the piston seal goes is the hardest to clean, mine had dried up brake fluid caked in there, I used some toothpicks to scratch it off.

Comment

Thanks every one. Will do. Any special place you recommend for gets the rubber boots etc for rebuild? Thanks again.

Comment

Your mega-welcome from BassCliff has a list of preferred vendors. I've been happy with Boulevard Suzuki, G&S Suzuki, and Z1 enterprises. (Z1's site has exclusively aftermarket parts, but if you look around, there is a form to submit a parts request. Fill this out and they will send you back an email with a quote.)
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X