GS850 what do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 what do?

So, I'm working on an '83 GS850 with 20,000 miles on it. The bike sat for several years. I flushed the tank, replaced the fuel line and vacuum line, rebuilt the carbs, replaced all fluids and filters, as well as the plugs.

I noticed when changing the oil that there was a lot of gas in it. It was concerning, but to be honest I don't even know what causes that so I just kept going hoping the stuff I was doing would clear it up. The carbs were fairly gummed up (stripped several screws and two jets getting them apart but was able to extract everything without damaging the carbs themselves). Put in new jets, float valves and needles, checked float level (which was way off) and put everything back together. I removed and cleaned the needle jets before putting them back in as well, as they were not included in my rebuild kits. I also removed and replaced a snapped cam chain tensioner bolt, thanks to the awesome members here.

The bike fired right up this morning with almost no choke and initially ran wonderfully with steady idle and good throttle response. I was giddy as a schoolgirl. But then after about 90 seconds, it started running a bit rougher and I had to increase the choke to smooth it out. Then I noticed it was smoking, which it wasn't doing initially. Another minute or so and I started to smell burning oil so I killed the bike. At that time, I noticed that the #1 cylinder was slowly dripping oil where the header pipe meets up to it.

I have not yet done a valve adjustment. Mainly because I lack shims, but also because I hate adjusting shim n bucket style valves.

I've never had to go deeper into a top end than adjusting valves so I'm not really sure where to go from here. Could really use some advice from those more knowledgeable than myself, so, most if not all of you.

Thanks in advance, all. I'm gonna go check out the troubleshooting section of the manual now.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: Typos

Originally posted by Indiesol View Post
    So, I'm working on an '83 GS850 with 20,000 miles on it. The bike sat for several years. I flushed the tank, replaced the fuel line and vacuum line, rebuilt the carbs, replaced all fluids and filters, as well as the plugs.

I noticed when changing the oil that there was a lot of gas in it. It was concerning, but to be honest I don't even know what causes that so I just kept going hoping the stuff I was doing would clear it up. The carbs were fairly gummed up (stripped several screws and two jets getting them apart but was able to extract everything without damaging the carbs themselves). Put in new jets, float valves and needles, checked float level (which was way off) and put everything back together. I removed and cleaned the needle jets before putting them back in as well, as they were not included in my rebuild kits. I also removed and replaced a snapped cam chain tensioner bolt, thanks to the awesome members here.

The bike fired right up this morning with almost no choke and initially ran wonderfully with steady idle and good throttle response. I was giddy as a schoolgirl. But then after about 90 seconds, it started running a bit rougher and I had to increase the choke to smooth it out. Then I noticed it was smoking, which it wasn't doing initially. Another minute or so and I started to smell burning oil so I killed the bike. At that time, I noticed that the #1 cylinder was slowly dripping oil where the header pipe meets up to it.

I have not yet done a valve adjustment. Mainly because I lack shims, but also because I hate adjusting shim n bucket style valves.

I've never had to go deeper into a top end than adjusting valves so I'm not really sure where to go from here. Could really use some advice from those more knowledgeable than myself, so, most if not all of you.

Thanks in advance, all. I'm gonna go check out the troubleshooting section of the manual now.
    Its not dripping oil. The gas from a broken petcock is flowing gas back down into #2 carb and causing the "smoke" and washing the black stuff you think is oil out of your exhaust. Pipe on the end appears oily right? The reason the gas was full of oil is the petcock is shot

Comment

You are bound to smell some burning oil as the bike gets up to heat by the way and it burns off old residual oil off the engine. Get the tank off there though now or your crankcase is going to be full of oil again. Either way your probably going to need another oil change with your new petcock

Comment

The gas tank, which is full of fuel, is off the bike. The petcock is not leaking at all in the on position, but will allow gas to exit if in the prime position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean the petcock is functioning fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Indiesol View Post
          The gas tank, which is full of fuel, is off the bike. The petcock is not leaking at all in the on position, but will allow gas to exit if in the prime position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean the petcock is functioning fine?
          What's happening (most likely) is when you start the bike you are pulling gas through the vacuum tube into #2 cylinder. This tube is meant to open the petcock through vacuum but when it goes bad it actually does both. Thats why your bike ran well for a while then went to hell. When its drawing in all that gas through the vac port its filling up the carbs with too much gas and it begins blowing gas or "smoke" out the pipe. Then what ever does not get blown out goes past the rings into the crankcase. Just went through this very situation on my sons 83' 850G. We thought he had blown a gasket with all the "oil" looking product everywhere. It was the gas cleanses everything. Is your left side pipe at the back appearing oily

Comment

That makes some sense. Petcock a are actually fairly reasonable, so I'll grab a new one.

Thanks for the advice.

Todd

Comment

Todd

If you need valve shims, I've got a whole box of them

Get Steve's spread sheet, go thru what you have and figure out what you need and let me know
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks, Todd.

Unfortunately my shim kit has been gone through by more than one friend, so I may need a few. At least I've still got my motion pro depressor tool. I'll definitely let you know when I get there.

Petcock and new floats are on order.

Hope you're getting lots of seat time in. I've been riding my dual sport for the most part lately. My R100 has been troublesome as well. Are you going to Vashon this year, or have any other trips planned ?

I'll definitely be at Vashon, and I'm riding out to Fossil with some friends last weekend of this month.

Comment

Come over and ride with us for the rally in July 10-12
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make that one. My wife will be gone and I'll be on kid duty. Seems like the case every year, but sooner or later I'll make it to one.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Indiesol,

Hey buddy, check out all the information below. And I mean really check it out.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, things are looking a bit better, but I'm definitely not out of the woods yet.

I replaced the petcock with a new OEM unit and same with all four floats. Float height is set at 22.4mm.

She started right up with some choke, and I let the choke back in slowly as she warmed up. No smoke, no drips of liquid from the #1 pipe, so things were looking better. After a bit of time to warm up, being that she's got new tires, I figured I'd take her for a quick spin around the neighborhood to see how she felt. Felt okay, it seemed like there was a bit of a bog at low RPMs and the idle was set too low, but it pulled well through 60mph and I could keep it running by feathering the throttle.

I came back home for just a few minutes, and then was planning on taking the bike out with a flathead screw driver to make some adjustments to the idle and the mixture screws. The bike fired right up, but then died a couple blocks from my house before I could make any adjustments. At that point, I needed to have the choke on just to keep it running.

I'm going to pull the valve cover and check tappet clearance tonight, but I don't think it'll help much.

I did notice when reading through the manual today that the Pilot Air Jet is shown to be a 180 in the manual, but the carb kit I had came with 190s. I'm wondering if that isn't why the mixture felt off, and that the bike dying is unrelated.....Ugh....
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM. Reason: Forgot details.

Comment

I didn't have time to do the valves last night, but I did pull the plugs. 1, 2 and 4 looked pretty much identical, and a bit lean. 3 looked like it was brand new. It sure sounded like it was running on all 4 up until it died, but now I'm not so sure. Either way, looks like the carbs are coming back apart. Wonder if there still isn't some small particulates in the tank that might have gotten into a jet on the #3 carb. I'll pick up an inline filter on my way home from work tonight.

Can someone please confirm float height of 22.4 for an '83 GS850? I believe it's a GD, but that's mainly because it looks identical to the bike pictured in the "GD" portion of the manual.

Is there a reason someone might have went from a 180 Pilot Air Jet to a 190? Perhaps that would explain why the plugs covering up the mixture screws had been removed....

Comment

Working...
                          X