Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REALLY suzuki? really?? Throttle cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REALLY suzuki? really?? Throttle cable...

Either I'm missing something, or this is just dumb. While I thought that swapping the throttle cable would be quick and easy, it appears that I need to take the carbs off to put on the new one. Grr.

Is this the case or am I just missing something? I was able to wiggle the old one out, but am finding it impossible to attach the end of the cable to the mechanism on the carbs. If I lift the linkage up with my fingers (carbs fully open) so that the thing is near the top where I can reach it, there just isn't enough room between carb 3 and the place where the cable end needs to go in.

When I get a little more time I'll just take the carbs off and do it I guess, but that seems completely stupid to me. I guess I'm half ranting here and half looking for an idea as to if there's another way to do it without taking off the carbs. Don't really want to do that if I can avoid.

Open up the throttle so the hole the cable goes in is up.Should be able to get it in then with a bit of work.

Comment

Yeah that hole in the throttle never goes "up".

You don't have to pull the rack all the way out. Just pull it back from the intake boots and there should be enough clearance to install it.

Comment

Hmmmm.............Just looked at the 750,you are right Mike.Think it works on the 1000 that way

Comment

can you not wiggle it in by holding it with a pair of thin long nose pliers?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Every GS I've had, it was much quicker and easier to remove the carbs, install the cable on them and reinstall the carbs.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              can you not wiggle it in by holding it with a pair of thin long nose pliers?
              The barrel has to go in sideways, unless you pull the carbs out of the intake boots there's no room.

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              Every GS I've had, it was much quicker and easier to remove the carbs, install the cable on them and reinstall the carbs.
              On a 550 I wouldn't pull the carbs fully out: just back them out of the boots and there should be enough room. It's still a bit tricky but do-able. You'll have to rotate the throttle by hand all the way open and use those pliers. A second pair of hands might be useful. The 550s and 650s have a reputation for the carbs being VERY tight.

Believe me, the first two times I put the carbs back in and didn't hook up the throttle first I could have kicked myself!

Comment

When I forgot to hook mine up when re-installing my carbs I managed to hold the linkage open with one hand, then took needle nose and got the barrel on the end started in the hole, and finally took a flat head screwdriver and finished pushing the cable into its slot. Then once its on the linkage THEN mount it to that little bracket and set free play and tighten the lock nuts. Only took me 2 tries my first time doing it. Used to working in tight places at work and on our skidsteer.

Comment

I think you have to have kung fu fingers to do it with the carbs on. I think I will just slide them back from the intake boots as suggested, hopefully that will free up enough space.

Who was the design genius who came up with the throttle connection anyways? In fairness though I suppose this is not something that has to happen often.

Comment

And no, I don't have any long needle nose pliers... at least not long enough. Sounds like something to add to the tool box.

Comment

I'd take off the carbs or back them out as described. I've gotten lucky without taking them off before, but taking them off saves on frustration.

Scudder

Comment

I concur... it can be done with a set of needle nose pliers and infinite patience, but by the clock.. you'd probably be better off taking the carbs off the engine. Its a huge pain in the ass with the pliers.

Comment

I'm sure there must be SOMETHING else you can do with them while you have the carbs off
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The 650 carbs are a bitch, I'd go buy some long needle nose pliers and hire a beautiful assistant to hold the throttles open....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              The 650 carbs are a bitch, I'd go buy some long needle nose pliers and hire a beautiful assistant to hold the throttles open....
                              If you're short on beautiful assistants, you can usually rig up a zip tie to hold the linkage fully open, leaving you two hands to maneuver the cable into position.

Comment

Working...
                              X