Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATLANTA Wrenchers - '82 GS650GL

Hello All,

Over the past several months, I have made some minor adjustments to my bike. Despite all of my research and novice elbow grease, I can't seem to get my bike back to running at its prior performance (which was pretty damn good). I know there may be several suggestions out there, but I've got to admit that I'm just tired of wrenching on it and throwing money at it. I think I just need another set of eyes on it, but I don't really want to take it to a shop (because of trailering/transport and the cost).

That being said, I just wanted to see if there was anybody out there in the Atlanta area (I live around Emory/Briarcliff/VaHi) that would be willing to give my bike a look. I would be willing to compensate in the form of beer and/or cash and/or trade, but I just can't justify throwing 80/hr on it like the shop wants.

The bike seems to be experiencing carburetor/vacuum/fuel issues. Essentially, it just bogs down at higher rpms or when I open the throttle. I have recently put air pods on it, and before anyone chimes in on that, I have to say that the bike was experiencing the bogging down with the airbox on it. I just put new plugs on it last week, also. The throttle has been adjusted, and that could very well be the problem, but I just don't know. Lastly, all the carbs appear to be clean, sealed well, and free of any debris.

I'm willing to take suggestions, but what I really need is someone with a bit more experience and confidence on these bikes than I have to give it a look.

Feel free to reply to the thread or send a PM.

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Hi Mr. ninety8problems,

What your bike needs is proper maintenance. Proper, complete, thorough maintenance. No more band-aids and half-measures. In your "mega-welcome" you will find a couple of maintenance lists. Each of these items must be properly addressed in order to have a safe and reliable machine. Skipping steps and taking shortcuts will cause frustration at best, severe death or injury at worst. You will find "how to" guides for all of the maintenance on my little website. So, let's get to it.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If the bike was experiencing the bogging with the stock airbox/airfilter setup ,changing to pods just made its/your life more difficult. You needed to get this critter running properly with stock setup before you get creative. It's not that hard but it is time consuming. Spend some time at Basscliff's site- as he says , there's lots of maintenance to catch up on. This work ain't for everyone- that's why you see so many bikes on CL with notes like "just needs the carbs tuned". To repeat - it's not that hard - but you do have to do things correctly or you will just get frustrated.
      I have same bike and it runs marvelously despite it age- it will probably outlast me!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X