How the heck do I remove this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the heck do I remove this

Im no dummy by any stretch but I can't see how the heck I can remove this airbox without major dismantling or breaking something.
    I have removed the 2 cross head bolts at the top that go back to the subframe cross member and loosened all the jubilee clips to the carbs. I still can't get it out.
    Any hints?
    Mike

Looks to be a 750 or 850?????

Anyways, remove the two top 10MM bolts

Loosen and slide the airbox boot clamps back against the airbox.

Loosen the intake carb holder clamps.

Push the airbox as far to thr rear of the bike as it goes and get the airbox boots off the carbs

Grasp the carbs and twist them either up or down and dislodge them from the carb holders and get the throttle cables off. Now you can remove the airbox rather easily.

Wiggle the carbs out the RIGHT SIDE of the bike and use a long flat screw driver to help skip the boots past the carbs throats.

Bowls will probably snag a bit on the cam chain tensioner, but you wiggle it around and get them past it. wont be an "easy" job so don't get frustrated at it.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Looks to be a 750 or 850?????
      850 is shaft drive.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I see the chain steve.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Crappy picture to even get a idea from really...other than the chain..which I didn't see.

depending on year and air box style, its a crap shoot as to how to answer. my response was with the assumption the air box has the part that forms back past the frame supports.

My 77 750 has a flat back and all I do is remove the 2 bolts and clamps and it slides right out without removing the carbs.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

What bike is that? It doesn't look like an 850. But, yes, you must remove the carbs first after loosening the airbox and sliding it back as far as it will go. You can loosen or remove the rear fender to give you a little more room to move the airbox back. Once the carbs are out you should be able to get the airbox free.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If that is an 83-86 GS750 you either have to remove the engine or destroy the airbox to get it out. Same on the 85 GS700. Ray.

Comment

Yes on the OP needing to add as much bike info to both the inquiry and to his signature for future references.

Comment

Thanks all. My bad pic and explanation. Its a 79 GS1000l. Im reckoning its a destroy the box job as im changing the filters to individuals anyway.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Yes on the OP needing to add as much bike info to both the inquiry and to his signature for future references.
                    Hopefully ive got a sig now ;-)

Comment

No, it's not neccesary to destroy anything. That's not even one of the harder ones. Carbs come out to the right first, a tight fit but doable, then the airbox is easy.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You have to remove the carbs if you want to remove the airbox. Just loosen up the airbox mounting points and the hose clips and pull the box back. Then loosen the carb to head hose clips and pull the carbs back till they clear the hoses at the front and the rear. Then pull the carbs out of the bike from the RH side.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi, cant help, sorry, no idea but there are those on here who can ! just to let you know your not on your own, i was a succer for an "L" brought it all the way from Ohio to sunny north of Ireland and very glad i did, unfortunately it wasnt sunny in Scotland last week where we were, hope this helps ??? LOL.

Comment

Parts Link

Originally posted by MikeTheGun View Post
                            Im no dummy by any stretch but I can't see how the heck I can remove this airbox without major dismantling or breaking something.
                            I have removed the 2 cross head bolts at the top that go back to the subframe cross member and loosened all the jubilee clips to the carbs. I still can't get it out.
                            Any hints?
                            Mike
                            Post up pictures from farther away so we can see the total bike. In the meantime, browse this website: http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_p...uki-bike-parts

Happy researching!

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                            X