Beam, high is higher, low is lower ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beam, high is higher, low is lower ?

Hi all, the high beam on my bikes is eithor to high or the low beam to low, if i level of the high beam then the low beam shines just beyond the front wheel, if i turn the lamp up so the low beam is not blinding on coming traffic then the high beam is up in the trees, both of my bikes are the same, iv changed bulbs and i dont there is adjustment for this ???? many thanks all

1980 GS850L ex New York
    1982 GS1100L ex Ohio.

What procedure are you using to adjust your headlights?

Comment

Hi, iv only changed bulbs, both bikes, i didnt see any adjustment in the headlamp "i thought" was relative to the problim, i may well be wrong and often am.

Comment

does this help.....

Learn how to adjust your motorcycle headlight correctly for safe night riding.

or

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          What procedure are you using to adjust your headlights?
          One Bass poured slowly into one Guinness
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi, its a Stanley type headlamp, fastened top and bottom with 2 small screws and adjustment only on the lower left about 8 oclock.
            Last edited by Chromedome; 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM. Reason: x

Comment

There's no adjustment to Hi-beam versus lo-beam with the common dual-filament bulb. This is "set" in the bulb by the manufacturer.

The only adjustments in old bikes are the up/down of the whole headlight bucket and a bit of sideways of the lamp-in-the-bucket with the screw you see.
              If lo-beam is set per Gatekeepers links, hi-beam is also set.
              That said, I suppose it's possible for the bulb-in-socket setup to be a bit funky...to be sure, maybe get a sealed-beam type headlight and fit it into the bucket. I have two Gs400's. One has a bulb, one has a sealed beam so I expect the same might be possible for you.

Comment

I loosen my headlight ears bolts just enough to where I can move the headlight up and down but still tight enough to keep it in that position,
                then I take the bike out and adjust my low beam to my preference and tighten up the headlight ear bolts, that's about it. I rarely use my high beam, but when I do I can see a very long ways ahead of me.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi all, didn't realy have a procedure for adjusting the light, as mentioned, the two screws eithor side of the headlamp adjust the entire light bucket both high beam and dip, those i have used to set the dip the high beam then isn't realy of much use except for daytime riding which I mainly do. Use the highbeam for daylight riding YIP I certainly do, iv had a few close ones while on dip in the daytime "make as much light as possible". The only other adjustment I was aware of was the small screw at 8 o'clock inside the bucket. Id never thought of fitting a sealed beam though, this should solve the problim. Would there be as much light or "more" of a similar sealed beam, 60/55 "100/80" ? thanks.

Comment

Are you aware that the 100/80 is "offroad only" and illegal on the street?
                    Having said that, if you do mostly day time riding I doubt there would be much difference. I would run the legal bulb on High during the day (which is what I normally do).

Comment

Hi, yip 100/80 is strictly offroad, and no way i would condone breaking the law, it would be a very ambicious/enthouastic cop who would ask me to remove my head, lamp bulb for inspection but thank you for the reminder and for the help, for night time riding, sounds like we are just makeing the best off a bad job,if I set my dipped lamp and I do so its not a hindrance or obstruction to other road users then its not a practical high beam for me, but thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X